installing switch machines under foam

Eureka! I've figured out a very neat way to install switch machines under multilayered foam board. I just got lucky on this one, since I had not planeed it this way, but it worked perfectly. Here's a quick pic:

tortoise_slot_cutting.jpg

For full details, visit the web site in the sig!

- John (very happy with how this worked out) :)

Nomad

Hey guys:wave: , not trying to steal this thread, ok?
Jeff, I saw a post somewhere( don't know who the author is, or I would give credit where is due), but if you cut off the throw bar where it sticks out past the switch, glue it underneath the throwbar, and then glue the switch machine underneath the switch, your set. The only problem is, if the switch machine burns out, you have to replace the whole switch.

Loren

Um, guys - this is about installing Tortoise switch machines, and they have almost no expression on the layout surface. So, there is no landscaping needed! They are all hidden, which is cool. So go start your own thread. :p

- John

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Hi John,

That is a neat idea. Based on my limted experience how well do you think this set-up will hold over time?

Shane

Hey, Shane -

Well, the switch machines are held quite firmly, and they don't exert a lot of torque on the board. I think that if held in with a bit of glue (RTV, perhaps?) they should last as long as the layout.

- John