Installing 153C Contactor on Lionel O27 Fast Track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by joslin527, Aug 4, 2008.

1. joslin527

joslin527 Joslin527

Trying to help my wife's grandfather install an automatic crossing guard. He is using Lionel Fast Track, so what is the easiet way to connect the 153C Contactor under the track, without tearing up too much of the plastic roadbed. Can I Take the roadbed off a piece and easily sand it down to make room for the Contactor? :-?
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

As far as I could determine, the 153C can't be used with Fastrack. (Note B: Fastrack is not O27). I think the instructions mention this.
    For my Gateman, I bought the operating track kit. This is 2 half sections and a full section; the full section has the outside rails insulated and the half sections have gaps in one of the outside rails. The insulated rail is wired to one terminal of the gateman and the other is wire to either a terminal on your transformer or the center rail on the track. (These are the terminals that operate the gateman). Mine has a 3rd terminal for lights and this can be wired to the other outside rail or another terminal on the transformer. (wiring to the track means that the gateman operates only when track power is on and the lights vary.)
    I had a diagram but it's all packed away.
    There is another way using some sort of electronic detector but I wouldn't pay enough to buy one.
    Insulated rails can be made by taking the metal joining plates off the underside of regular rails.
  3. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

The easiest way to do this is to buy a 153IR. I won't say you can't use the 153C but it will be more work than it's worth. The 153C is intended for use only with tubular track.

Here is a link to the Lionel catalog page.

Although it is shown along side of tubular track it works with all track and does not need to be connected to the track at all.