Inspiration

DeckRoid

Apr 28, 2007
Caldwell, ID
The other day, while watching Cars, I had an inspiration for the backside of my proposed layout. I am doing a post WWII, pre 60s layout. Its going to look alot like the 2nd place winner of the midsized layout in the June MR issue. A 9 x 11 square and on one long side I want evergreen mountains and desert along the other long side.

I was thinking of some of those great desert scenes in Cars. Then I also thought of the great desert scenes in Warner Bros. cartoons starring the Road Runner and Wiley Coyote. I have some ceiling tiles that I thought might work, and have read up some on the breaking and brushing.

Any suggestions for making layered desert scenes? Ceiling tiles? Foam? Sculpey? Poured magma?!?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I have just started experimenting with the broken ceiling tile look and I like it. It's obvious I still have a lot to learn but I think they have potential. You can see some of my attempts towards the end of the first link in my signature.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Here's a pic of my first atttempt using ceiling tiles.
P1001491.jpg

I broke them up into pieces about the size of my palm and glued them in place using LN for foam projects. I then scraped them with a fork to blend them together. Next came a heavy cost of KILZ primer, then latex paint. I did have to fill in some voids between the pieces with joint compound. I also inserted an 1/8" dowel into the tall spires for support. Next comes some more coloring with washes and chalks.
Doc