Inside the Sawmill

Discussion in 'Shamus' Narrow Gauge World' started by shamus, Nov 22, 2001.

  1. shamus

    shamus Registered Member

    I took the roof off the sawmill to add some new bits to it, thought I would show it before the roof goes back on.

    Shamus
    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

  2. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Shamus;

    The detail is absolutely amazing. I assume it is not accomplished overnight and that you add things as you think of them.

    I hope that is the case as that is how I am approaching my ideas regarding the scenery for my layout. I have a general plan in mind and as I proceed I will begin to add the detail which will hopefully make for the realism we are all interested in achieving.

    Bob
  3. shamus

    shamus Registered Member

    Hi Bob,
    Thanks Bob, I always try and make every little scene a MINI scene in itself, by adding as much detail as is viably possible. Sort of a museum setting if you like.
    I always have a plan of what I want to achieve, in my "Minds Eye", I try and picture a scene first once the track is down (without scenery) I will stand and look at it for many hours Picturing many scenarios and trying to visualise the desired effect. Once I have this accomplished, only then will I make a start knowing that this is what I am after with the scenery.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  4. Bob Collins

    Bob Collins Active Member

    Shamus;

    Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I am genuinely interested in how you reach some of the detail on your layout. In the case of the sawmill I can see how you have developed a lot of the detail, but have you fabricated such things as the saw blades and the "sawing machine" in the background yourself?

    Sawmills are pretty much in evidence here in southern Missouri where I live in a large area of oak and hickory that runs from eastern Oklahoma, across Missouri into southern Illinois. We actually live very close to the Mark Twain National Forest which encompasses many, many square miles for forest land. (no redwoods, unfortunately!). So there is a great deal of logging that goes on all around us.

    One of the most interesting recent developments in the logging industry here is to solve a long time problem in getting rid of all the sawdust generated by the sawmills. The solution is a very simple one, but apparently the technology wasn't there to do it economically until a few years ago. They make charcoal briquets from it. The problem was in dealing with the great amounts of heat generated in the process of making the briquets. I don't understand all the details, but in addition to all the logging trucks we see every day, we also see lots of trucks hauling sawdust to the Kingsford charcoal plant just to the north of us about 20 miles.

    Bob
  5. shamus

    shamus Registered Member

    Hi Bob,
    I look at hundreds of photo’s regarding details, and fabricate what I need. As for some of the inside of the sawmill, the large cutting wheels were from an old clock. 95% was scratchbuilt; the other 5% were castings I bought through Walthers.

    By the way, if you can get photo's from the sawmill and it's working, I would be interested to look at them
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Share This Page