inside egde of track cleaning

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Collyn, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Collyn

Collyn Member

Kepping with the matinence type posts, how doese everyone clean the inside edge of your track. I noticed a huge improvement when I cleaned the inside edge of the track with a btight boy but it was fairly difficult to get to some places, n scale.
  2. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Always had better running conditions (Better electrical contact??) when I cleaned the tops and the inside of all the rails... Even switch frogs and throws... This is the same in HO, Z, N and G --- the 4 I have experience in :)

I got the idea from the fact that the wheels contact the rail head. but the flanges contact the inside of the rails......
  3. GRSJr

GRSJr Member

Never had to clean the rails. I use UniTrack. The alloy use stays clean even after 6 years.
  4. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I painted the inside edge of the track, so cleaning it should remove the paint and I don't want to do that.
    Most of the electrical contact between the rail and wheels is made on the top face of the rail, but N Gauger is right , the flange contact a small area on the inside of the rail.
    I want to do a test: clean a small part on the inside of the rail with a Brightboy by holding it almost vertically.