Insering bitmaps

Discussion in 'Software' started by wunwinglow, Dec 14, 2005.

1. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, some members have asked about putting bitmaps into Rhino to use as a guide to build you model. Here goes!

Couple of things; The bitmaps are only visible in the orthogonal views, ie NOT in the perspective views. Don't try and place them in the perspective view, it won't work. Secondly, the bitmaps are effectively on the construction plane (grid) in each view, but you can't move them off the plane, and you don't need to anyway. They are just guides, and you are looking straight at them.

Select the background Bitmap tool, and pick the file you want to use. Most bitmaps are usable, but not gifs. Don't know why....

Change to the view you want the bitmap to appear, click once for the top left corner, click twice for the bottom right corner. Bitmap appears.

If you want to move the position of your bitmap, select the Move Background Bitmap tool,

Click somewhere meaningful on your bitmap, and drag the bitmap to its proper location. A box outline will show you where the bitmap is moving.

If the bitmap is not the right size, select the Scale Background Bitmap tool,

Click once on a reference point, click twice to the point you want to scale, drag this point and the bitmap will scale. The box outline will show the bitmap size changing.

Explore the Align Bitmap tool for yourselves, it combines the moving and scaling function into one command.

Remember you can use all of the snap functions in any way you need to identify the points clicked on. So, if you have a model size already decided, put a line into your workspace, and use the align bitmap tool to pick the nose and tail of your aircraft and snap those points to the ends of your line. Or snap to locations on the grid. Or you can type the co-ordinates in manually. Or you can snap one end to the 0,0,0 point, the other to an intersection. It is up to you!

There you are, a piece of cake!

Tim P
  2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thenks alot man

out standing work

(what about thesu7 u start?do u finsh make it?)

ther is some place i can see a models the u finsh?
  3. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Insering bitmaps

OK, some members have asked about putting bitmaps into Rhino .......

Hello, Wunwinglow: .... is a card model of a US Navy PT Boat in the making with you, or just an aid to illustrate the above subject? I wish you could freature this in the forum....Regards...

4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

if i whant to add a right pitmap

and the longest of my model is 830mm so my x in rhino =830?
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yaniv, just do exactly the same but select a different view. You can have a different bitmap in each view, and you can have lots of views. Just remember the more bitmaps you load, the mor memory you use, so lots of images will slow down your PC.

Sorry I haven't had time to finish the Sukhoi! And sorry, no PT boat from me, it was just the first appropriate bitmap image I found when I did the tutorial!

Oh Yaniv, you should know I never finish any of my models!!

You can make the model any size you want, in any units (milimetres, inches, Kilometers) You change these on the Options/Units dialogue box.

The visual grid you can see is NOT the same, you can change this as well to anything that suits YOU. The visual grid can have two different colours, so maybe centimetres and milimetres, or feet and inches. The size of the grid is measured from the 0,0 point, so if you put in 100 for grid size, it will be go from 0 to 100, AND 0 to -100, so your final visual grid will be 200 x 200, centred on the 0,0 point.

The grid for SNAP can be set to something else, or the same, as you prefer. I usually set the snap grid to 0.5mm, the minor visual grid to 1mm, the major grid to 10mm. You can have what you like!

Hope this helps, and for more unfinished projects!

Tim P
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

More pics for Yaniv and anyone else. His last question regarded 'scale'. Well, Rhino doesn't care! You can make your models in any units you like, so if you want to model it REAL full size, fine. Equally if you want to do your work at full 'MODEL' size, thats good too. I find it slightly easier if I work in model size, if only to keep the final materials and processes in mind. It is easy to get carried away on some detail, only to realise its too small to make anyway!

Draw a line the length of your model, in this case 830mm.

Place your background bitmap.

Move the bitmap, selecting the tip of the nose on the bitmap as the 'marker' and moving it to the end of your 830mm line.

Align the bitmap, selecting nose tip end of the line, then the point on the bitmap where the tailcone ends, then the left end of the 830mm line, then the right end of the 830mm line.

Start building your model!

Tim P
  7. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

man u help me so mach

u just fix me all the broblems in my hed

thenks thenks thenks alot again

(if i work on 1airplan in a pic pitmap not like u use with 2 airplan in the pic its suld looks like in my rhino screen like the down plan in the last JPG in the last reply right?)
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yaniv, yes, exactly. Again, I just found that pic with two aircraft on it on the Internet. The lower aircraft is the one lined up on the 0,0,0 point.

Glad this makes thing a bit clearer for you!

Tim P
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Don't ask me how I managed it but I did have a bitmap show up in the perspective view once. It had been in the top vport but then through some process I'm totally ignorant of it made it's way into the perspective vport and wouldn't reappear in the top vport. Maybe there are a few ghosts in the software? More than likely the operator was responsible.
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well I'll be....

You CAN place a bitmap in the perspective view, but remember it appears on the construction plane, which will be the xy plane, unless you set it to something else.

You live and learn, don't you! Maybe this is a feature that has been added sinve version 2, where you certainly couldn't put a bitmap in the perspective view. Either that or I really am loosing my, um, thingy.

Thanks Will!

Tim P
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

It would be interesting to experiment and see if you can't place a bitmap in all the different construction planes in the perspective vport(ie insert a bitmap change the cplane insert another etc).
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

You might be able to insert some rectangular surfaces and apply a bitmap to them, like this but I can't recall precisely how I did this! Frankly I find keeping the bitmaps in the ortoganal views, and the perspective view clear, works really well.

I'll look into this.

Tim P
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK. You can certainly apply a bitmap as a decal if you have the Flamingo rendering plug-in. However, the image only shows up when you render the image; in other words, it doesn't appear in the workspace. I will check and see if this is something v4 addresses, because it is a feature you find in most other modelling programs.

Tim P