INSANITY at 1/480 scale ....

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Nando, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hehe!!! I guess I was a bit jumpy there... didn't remembered that... :-D
  2. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Some small progress on the side #4 ....

...and now my mini-crawler is transporting the SA-209 at the rocket garden (near completed too) ... :mrgreen:

Best Nando

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I thought you can only go that far in scale with a plastic kit... I'm definitely wrong :D
  4. WeeVikes

WeeVikes Member

I am not worthy!

You know, your little, bitty crawler model is one of the reasons George and I decided to do the Apollo Historical Series, don't you? We were inspired.

Hopefully 209 will be at home in the Rocket Garden. (I currently have 210 in my prototype. 209 wasn't done when I designed and built the original model. I'll have to fix that... Clearly, your 209 will make it "home" before mine!)

5. George B

George B Senior Member

Be careful your little Werner Von Braun doesn't get flattened by SA-209 LOL

PS, I still don't know how you made all those little parts on the crawler.
  6. Nando

Thank You Mike for Your appreciations, but I think that I am so sluggish that Yours will arrive first: I'm sure!

I'll be careful with WvB, be sure, and I don't know how I made the small particulars, may be with a little bit of patient, with some stubbornness and with trial and error: as usual for us modelers ....;)

A question:
    how is the single truck articulated with the angular structure of the crawler?
    I found some picture how the MLP is joined with the crawler and how the steering cylinder pulls and pushes the truck but nothing about how the five pillars can turn with the truck when the truck is steered and the cylinders keep horizontal the MLP on the ramp.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Attached Files:

7. Nando

Side #4 completed!

Hi guys
    I finally completed the side #4 :mrgreen:

Best, Nando :wave:

PS: could someone answers to my previous question?
  8. grzechu pl

grzechu pl New Member

Very nice model, i just like it
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'm at awe... Let me quote something... "You did NOT make that from paper!!" :D
  10. Nando

JEL Cylinders

I found in the LUT Group a link to a Nasa's document about STS-122 Flight Readiness. In this document they talk about an inspection to the bearing of the Crawler's JEL (Jacking, Equalization, and Leveling) Cylinders, where they found some failure. Below some picture I cut out from the document that partially answers to my previous question.
    I'd like to share this information with all of you are interested.

Best Nando

Attached Files: