Input on my layout

4t5

Feb 25, 2005
I'm looking for input about this layout that I have designed. Please let me know what you think and if there are any glaring shortcomings. I am sort of new at this and my brain is overloaded. Thanks in advance.
LAYOUT3.jpg

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Interesting plan 4T5. Will it be located in a room where you only have access at the front or will you have access all around? I presume the reverted loop will be part of a staging track. I would like to see how you will fit in a yard and engine terminal into the space indicated. What scale is it?

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I like the plan, but for me I'd rather leave the reverted loop and not send trains back the way they came. With this loop, you can only run one train at a time unattended. Using the sidings you'd be ok of course.

Actually, if you took that reverted loop and just connected right to track below, you'd have a layout almost exactly like my n-scale one! just a little more stretched out. crazy.

Maybe that's why I like it so much, heheh. Good plan though, can't wait to see it evolve.

4t5

Feb 25, 2005
Thanks for the replies. The layout wil be in my shop (garage) with access on all sides but the "west". Yes, there will be staging track with the reverted loop. I am going with N Scale, and the squares on the drawing are 1' x 1'. I have started working up a diamond shaped yard. I will post it sometime in the sext couple of days. Meanwhile, any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again.

Tom

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Since I enjoy switching moves, I look for run around tracks early on when looking at a potential track plan. I noticed that you have no run around tracks near either of the switching sections in the two return loops. The two sidings in the lower right side loop in particular are opposite each other, so you will need to move your locomotive around the train to work those industries.

4t5

Feb 25, 2005
OK, I'm back. I ditched the reverted loop and grade. Do the industry tracks look OK? Is the yard too much? Still looking for input. Thanks in advance.

layout%2012a.JPG

Layout12a.JPG

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Put some gentle waves/curves into the straights, that way it won't look so geometric. Also, on the autoracks at the bottom, is there enough room at the end for the loading ramps? If not, you may need to shorten the tails a section or two. Finally, there's no way of changing the direction of a train short of using the old 0-5-0 Reverser. Putting a double crossover in along the back will conveniently resolve the matter, if it matters to ya.

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
I think you should work on the yard a little bit. How about a yard that is not parallel to the end of the layout but in a 45 degree angle like the 3 tracks you got to access the the yard. I would try to use the middle one of the three tracks and would us switches left and right of it.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I noticed that there is no access to the yard from the industrial area in the lower left side. It would give you more flexability if you could get to and from the yard from that side. Also the only access to the left side of the yard is through the passenger station. You might want to rethink that.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
You might want to reconsider the yard a little. In it's current confiuration, if you wanted to move a cut of cars from one side to the other it could be difficult. I would have a look at some of John Armstrong's plans... though your yard would be nice for displaying rollingstock, I think it could use some work to become more functional.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Your Yard area has more of what you need and some things and none of what you need in others.
It is cool looking but you will need functionality more than cool looks.
You have an arrival and departure track(this is a good start).
You really need a Drill track and it needs to be as long as you can make it.
You dont need all those sidings unless you plan on Storing cars in your yard(very bad idea)
Yards are meant for sorting and sending.Hidden storage is a much better idea.Determine the amount of room in the yard you need by determining your basic operating situation.this will tell you how many arrivals you will be dealing with and how much holdover you will have in trains that are made up or sorted and ready to be made up.
Add an interchange track if you can bringing in a train from Off layout(hidden staging) this will drop off cars and pick up your interchange cars.This really improves the operating feel of your layout making you a part of the national rail system.

You have a nice long mainline which is fabulous and will make it nice for those times you just want to watch them run.
This design crys DCC,give me DCC.
Others have mentioned the need for runarounds so i'll just second that.

You have a very good rough draft and something to work with for sure.
Fine tuning it takes time.Dont get in a hurry to fill the area with trackage.Do get your mainline in if you are in a hurry and really want to operate some equipment.You can always cut in switches later or reroute if you have to.
Continue working on the plan,fine tuning and rethinking the yard area.
Andy sperandeo's new book Freight Yards is an Invaluable book that will teach you alot about yards,what each track is and does and how to lay out a yard for best operation in the given space you have.
Read the thread i started on breaking down the plan.Now is a good time to get yourself organized right away at the beginning of this adventure.
I see a Mogul in the making :D