Innovative Photography

shamus

Registered Member
The "Foggy Morning" thread got me to thinking about this thread about "innovative Photography"

So lets see how you can come up with using two photographs,

1 a real backdrop and 2 superimpose your modelling in the front.

I will start this off with my old Badger Creek sawmill and a backdrop of nice mountain scene.
Shamus
sf1.jpg

roryglasgow

This is a shot from my old R&K layout. I placed a white sheet in the background. Using the "Magic Wand" selection tool in Paint Shop Pro, I selected all of the areas that matched the color of the sheet, then pasted in a photo of the sky.

Bryan3.jpg

rockislandmike

hang a sheet or whatever in front of the backdrop. I do the same thing on my shelf layout from time to time, cause the backdrop is too short for some shots.

Vic

Ahhh Haaa!... "Professor Shamus" has given us an assignment!!!!:D :eek: :eek: :D Hope this isn't the "final exam":D :D :D I may "withdraw" from the class:D :D :D but I'll be "studying" on this one!!!:D :D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Okay, here's the first picture with all the background cut out, and here's another photo with a different background. All done in paintshop pro.

sf5.jpg

sf3.jpg

----------------------
Starting with the picture at the top, the first job to do was remove the existing back scene, leaving the power cables intact. Then using various photographs from my collection, paste a new back ground behind. As you will notice, all have the same foreground but with different back grounds.

If you want to have a try yourself, use the picture at the top if you want, (Right click - save picture as) or do one of your own. If you do your own pictures, then your first task is to remove the back ground using the ERASER (Looks like a rubber) tool. This work can take quite a lot of time. (Well worth it in the end)

Okay, - load the picture into Adobe Photoshop or Paintshop Pro.

Select the magic wand tool and left click into top left of picture, now hold down shift and click into every available clear part. when finished go to SELECT and inverse the picture then save the selection from the SELECT button. Go to EDIT and copy the picture. Now minimize the picture. The reason you saved the picture was to be able to use it for another background later, just click on SELECT at a later date and re-load it.

Now open up another picture that you want to use as the background picture, The main picture is 608 by 431 pixels. make sure that the other picture you are going to use is the same size. If not then go to IMAGE and Image Size and re-size to 608 only, the rest will take care of it's self. Now go to EDIT and paste. Once the picture is in, use the MOVE TOOL and position the picture properly. NOW go to LAYER and flatten image.

All that remains is for you to save your new picture.

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'm using corel photo paint to clean up and size my pictures, guess I will have to learn how to use some more of the program. This could get "verrrry interesting".
Pete

shamus

Registered Member
This one took quite abit of time cutting out all the model trees and inserting the prototype background.

Attachments

• forrest.jpg
    forrest.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 129

Tyson Rayles

None of the software I have will get rid of the background, it just turns it white. Which is good cause I don't spend enough time working on the layout as it is! :D Keep them pictures coming Shamus, they are a blast! :)

rockislandmike

Don't know what sw you're using, Tyson, but while it shows white on the screen, it may actually be transparent - that's how my sw does it anyways.

rockislandmike

While nowhere near the quality of Shamus' work, of course, here's my quick efforts this evening in between rounds of my weekly D&D game.............

Attachments

• hoodriverbridge.jpg
    hoodriverbridge.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 104

Tyson Rayles

Nope Mike, it stays white. I have the tools to air brush in whatever I want but not to superimpose one pic over another (then again maybe I'm not smart enough to find it) . BTW what is a sw?

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Mike, nice picture showing the mountains behind, keep um coming.
Do you still play Dungeons and Dragons? Wow, I used to years ago.
Shamus

rockislandmike

Yep, every Monday night, 8pm-11pm local time. I don't think my wife's a big fan of it, but she also figures it's better than going and playing poker and getting drunk every Saturday night. So she just sighs and puts up with it...............

shamus

Registered Member
Here's the model RDC crossing the big waters, which skyline is it guys, need to know for my own reference. Here in the UK, we ain't got nuttin like that. Looks fab.

Shamus

Attachments

• rdc.jpg
    rdc.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86