Information wanted on rail dimensions

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by stig, Mar 4, 2005.

1. stig

stig New Member

I hope someone can help me.

I am doing research into what model rail is available in the marketplace and how the scaled profiles compare alongside the prototype profiles in UK O scale (7mm:1ft) or similar. This is for the lighter weight rails of between 25-50lb per yd as typically used on narrow gauge railways of 2’ or thereabouts. This will form part of a series of articles I am hoping to get published about how to accurately recreate Narrow Gauge track to prototype scale (e.g. ScaleSeven) standards.

I have prototype details from Hammer Steel (USA) website and Corus (UK) and full details supplied by Peco on their range. What I would like to find out is the main rail dimensions for Micro Engineering/Railcraft and any other commonly available loose rail (not flex track) in the USA.

The dimensions I would like to know are the following to at least 2 decimal places in inches (or 1 in mm):

A Rail head width
    B Rail height
    C Foot width
    D Web thickness (if possible)

Note just B on its own is the same as the code #. It’s A+B+C I need and D if it can be ascertained.

Many thanks in advance.
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge, John! If it were me, I would contact the manufacturer and ask for data and/or a sample, then measure the sample yourself. Then you can say, "according to teh manufacturer..." or "I measured..." :)
  3. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

A similiar study has been done an published on the internet in the past. Dont't know where I saw it but probably on Yahoo Groups Layout Construction or one of the two on handlaying track.