1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Info on O-gauge wheel puller?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by kpolak, Jan 13, 2008.

1. kpolak

kpolak Member

I saw an o-gauge wheel puller in an article frome Jim Barett, and am looking to purchase one.

The unit looks like a u section with a cut-out for the axel, and has a threaded metal eye to press the axle out.

Does anyone know where to find one of these?

I saw it in February/March O-Gauge Railroading magazine.

Thanks,
    Kurt
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I don't get the mag so I'm not sure which one it is.

Here are some links that you might find helpful.

Tools

tools
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Thanks for those links. I really should order one. About a year ago I tried to make one from a cheap gear/battery terminal puller from Harbor Freight, which a lot of people have done successfully (there was an article in CTT a few years ago about doing it). But I didn't use proper safety precautions, ended up having to go to urgent care, missed a day of work, and I still have the scar. It would have been a lot cheaper to just order a $30 tool.
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I really like the top notch one however I could never explain to myself why I would ever spend that much for a puller. Spending the $30 makes much more sense than spending a few hundred.:thumb:
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

NorthWest ShortLine make a wheel/gear puller that sounds like your description. I have one, but I'm not sure how much it will pull for O gauge (probably car/diesel wheels, but not all steamer drivers.) A friend has one made out of a C clamp -- took off the anvil and got a slot for the axle.
    I make sure I have a bearing over the axle end if it's a pin-point axle,
  6. kpolak

kpolak Member

Thanks everyone! Didn't see the model. Couldn't see what Stan Orr was selling...so he may have it. But i'm not sure.

I'll check around, and let you know what I find.

Kurt