info on multideck layouts

chipmonk

Mar 9, 2004
NJ
Visit site
i have resently accuired a garage for a layout room and was wongder what the best way to do a multi-deck layout is.
one helix or two?
minium spacing between the decks?
links to some examples perhaps?

Any help or advice would be great
thanks
Chris

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Our club has a helix on our layout that is actually 4 tracks deep. Its set so its double track as your going up or down the helix. and you go out one way on the top or bottom but you dont go back in that way. You end up going down another set of double tracks on the way down. We were just talking about how big it was a couple weeks ago and I think it was about 6'x8' and I forgot to add its an oval, so the grade isnt tooo steep. This might be a little more complex than you might want to create.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I think minimum spacing ought to be about 16" Ideal heights depend on your height, I'm 6'2" and like 43" and 59". I used one helix, two would take a lot of room! Many plans don't utilize a helix at all, depends on other considerations, like if you're modeling a mountanous road, you can avoid the helix by gaining elevation as you go around walls and a center peninsula. On the other hand, if you're modeling flat lands a helix comes in handy. Do a search for the word helix and you'll come across several threads, there was one in particular that had a lot of good info, I had posted a pic of mine there.