Info on 1/24 Apollo capsule?

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Mechanic, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I found this image on ninfinger, does anyone know anything about it?

Attached Files:

2. jparenti

jparenti Member

Gee, I wish I did. I like the detail work on that...
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module 1:24 Scale

I don´t think it´s Delta 7 Studios and Shippey - the "coming soon" Apollo thing has been there for several months now.
    I think I might have seen this pic on a while ago . . .
    Try to do a search on 'Apollo' - René Pinos builds these real space thingies from time to time. I know I have seen it before.

Or, it might be something from 'Accurate models' - they are now working on a superdetailed Gemini spacecraft card model in 1:12th scale.

Best of luck with your search - if I find anything, I´ll let you know,
    Bengt :D
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello everybody,

That is one very nice Apollo CM...even has faded/weathered Kapton stripes near the top. I'll keep a look-out also. I'm dying for the Delta 7 models to be available.

Just FYI...the Accurate Models version of Gemini is, I believe, a mix of resin / polys / metal, but they built an EXCELLENT card model mockup out of card from David Weeks' plans that can be seen on their website.

Steve Austin
  6. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I'm fairly certain it's not Delta 7's, as nice as it is it just doen't seem to have that historically fanatical detail. Sidenote, if I'm not mistaken, the "coming soon" has been there several years, I've lived in my current home for over four years and that page has not been updated since I've lived here. I used to check their websight DAILY just waiting for it to release. Although I don't want to, if have to wait four more years for the Apollo series I gladly will, I think Dan does awsome work.

The other places don't seem like the source either, from the photo caption it appears almost as if "they" were just messing around.

I've been all over and have not seen it there as of yet.
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Sorry to be a kill joy but the Delta 7 Coming soon has actually been up for Years...I believe the guy is actually a Film/show set designer and he has been paying the real bills with that job so not much time is available for hobby stuff...

Based on the Gem & Mercury kits...well it would take ages to complete. A few years ago he did have plans to issue Apollo 11 CSM/LM only for Christmas, but that didnt happen...

Just letting you know about that...sorry for crushing hopes. Im going to finish my F-1 Engine number 5 for Greelts 1:32 Saturn V....ohh the monotony...

John John
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module in 1.24 Scale

OK, Mechanic,

I guess we´ll have to dig a bit deper . . .
    One clue is the red CD on th extreme left in the picture - it says "Cool Colors", not "Cool ColoUrs", so it´s highly likely (but not 100% certain) that it´s taken in the US.

Whereabouts on the Ninfinger site did you find it?

Sorry about the dead end on - there is also Kartonist and Kartonmodell-Forum.

Onwards, brave men,
  9. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I'm not exactly on a quest :roll: just hoping maybe someone recognized the work. I think it's the archive section,
    lots of interesting things to look at in there!

I've tried looking through Kartonist and Kartonmodell-Forum, but I have a hard time navigating those two sites.
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Yep - found it!

It´s obviously a "1/24 paper model test" built by someone who calls himself "jortmann2". Sounds a bit German to me, with the double m´s . . .
    And the entry is made in March 19, 2004.

If you click the "jortmann2" link, you arrive at a Yahoo group, where it is actually possible to "send an IM" - I´d try that, if I were you.

Good luck!
  11. jparenti

jparenti Member

I feel your pain. I'm on the third one right now, just have the pipes at the top left. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent model, but five engines can get tedious when there's nothing new to assemble. :grin:
  12. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I'm not a user of Yahoo, and I don't think it would be fruitful, the Yahoo page says that user page was last updated 04/29/2001.
  13. davelant

davelant Member

I am a member of the Yahoo Group "Space Modelers," and the post accompanying that picture from John Ortmann stated that he did it because he was tired of waiting for the Delta 7 model; he later said that if he could do the heatshield he might release it as a model, but I see no sign in the group archive that he ever did. He has remained active in space modeling. Check out his digital model of LM-5: 5 Model (July 2006)/index.html

or this stunning 1/12 scale paper Gemini, which is only a mock-up for a multi-media kit.
  14. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

That is some superb work! Do you or can you talk to him, has he done anything else with the capsule? (Man I would love to see that digital LM as a paper model!)
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi davelant and welcome to this forum!

Thanks for the clarifications. Do you think it would be possible to ask John Ortmann, via the 'Space Modelers' Yahoo group, if he could be persuaded to publish or post the outline of the 1/24 scale Apollo CM top for the card modeling community?
    The striping pattern he has done on it would be a very welcome addition to the current Apollo CSM models, for example by Ton Noteboom at Jon Leslie´s site, if you decide to do a 'kit bash'. It would add a new dimension of realism to the Apollo capsule (with the white launch tower and capsule cover removed) in the 1/48 scale model of the Saturn V assembly. Especially if it were to be printed on glossy photo paper or sprayed with Krylon acrylic laquer.

Mechanic and Steve,
    It seems it´s just as good to stop hoping for any Apollo models coming 'soon' from Shippey and Delta7 Studios. However, the work going on at Accurate Models, by John Ortmann Jr, Jim Key and David Weeks, is incredibly interesting:
    I guess the detailed pictures of the card mock-up model can be used to further detail and enhance the 1/24 scale Gemini project CD models from Delta7 Studios.

I think I will use John Ortmann´s amazing and detailed computer generated images of the LM-5 to enhance and color-code my 1:32 scale version of the excellent LM model from U-DON´S FACTORY. Ortmann´s LM-5 looks just like the real thing at Tranquility base, from every conceivable angle, and gives you a very good clue for the colors of the golden foil thermal blankets and the matted black plates, as well as the wrapping of the legs and antenna arms. Very useful indeed. Thanks davelant!

The U-DON hand-drawn LM card model is found here and the download is FREE:

Edited in: I just signed in and joined the Yahoo Paper Space Model group - better late than never . . .
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Here is a future project Preview!

See attached picture,

Attached Files:

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module Control Panels

Wowie Zowie, Carl!

That´s some preview . . . Can´t wait to see the rest. Incredibly detailed. Keep up the good work!

18. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

"fainted"... :-D
  19. obiyan

obiyan New Member

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

It is a research Item

I have it, with a lot of other items for research. It was a scan from the Apollo 11 20th ann. Poster, (Filed it back years ago). The folks at the sim. must have found it too. I plan on cutting it up and doing a paste in the future. It is a open source file. Anyone who wants to jump on it, (Go for it). I will be glad to sent My whole interior research file. This ia a model that will require a lot of time, (and skill).