Info Needed Regarding Sn2

Only15, There are some neat cane railways in Australia for inspiration. I'd grab some N diesels with the driver rods and kit bash some engines for Sn2. A lot of the wagons are two axle flats from the pictures I've seen. Rob a few N trucks for wheels and stick them under some short flats. A fellow I know used straw from a broom to look like sugar cane loads.

Good luck and post your results.
Greg

only15

PRO:Pain In The Behind
Thankyou:thumb:,
I was planning on just Scratch Building a body to suit a Mech. no modifying of the Mechanism unless absolutely necessary!
NWSL, as far as i know is not "readily" available in Aus, let alone where i am:cry:!
I’m looking at using Kadee or Atlas Bogies (or whatever you recommend!) with HO #5 Kadees. I’m looking at all my stock being scratch built, lots of flats (Goods) log wagons, hoppers/gondolas (limestone & coal, maybe something else, any suggestions?), Tankers (water and petrol) and maybe anything else you guys recommend!?!
I don’t really like four-wheel stock so I won’t use them, unless it is really needed.

You guys obviously have a bit of experience with narrow gauge models so what are the favoured N-Scale Mech’s that won’t break the bank? Preferably cheap, Yet good performers (good pulling power and smooth)??

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
what are the favoured N-Scale Mech’s that won’t break the bank? Preferably cheap, Yet good performers (good pulling power and smooth)??
I will risk an offer of "good advice". The N-Scale mechanism you choose should be determined by how good it will look with an S scale boiler and cab, or carbody.
In all the things we can save money on, in this hobby, the one thing you shouldn't "go cheap on", is the locomotive.
You can make cheap rolling stock run better, and look better. You can make cheap track perform better with a bit of work. If the loco doesn't run well....the train doesn't run well.
Find the loco you need, and then you can look around to see if there's a way to get it for less money. Don't look for the cheapest, like tools, you'll find you will have to re-invest in better quality, making the first purchase that much more expensive.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
ok then i'll ask again, what are the favourite N scale Mechs? any budget?

I own three N scale steam locos. A lifelike P2K Heritage 2-8-8-2, A Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, and a Roundhouse (now Athearn) "Old Time" 2-8-0. I have also run a couple of the ConCor steam locos. I'm happy with the three, and, from what I saw initially, I'd also recommend the ConCor. That said, You will still have to determine what loco you want to run, and then find the mechanism that you can use to create that loco, regardless of cost. You may not have a wide variety to choose from.

only15

Well for the meantime I’m focusing on diesel, what about diesel Mech's?
But I would love to have an N-Scale 2-8-0 with HO boiler and tender with a Scratch built S-Scale cab....

Any Advice on how i could go about any of these things?

Regards
Nathan

nkp174

only15...while N scale seems logical to most of the board...I've always seen HOn3 as the preferred. Importantly, some of the HOn3 locomotives like PFM's old Benson shay are ideal for Sn2...while only the mechanisms from N scale stuff is usable. While the track gauge may be closer...the appearance of the mechanisms (drivers, shay parts, etc...) will be way out of scale. In Sn2, decent sized steam locomotive drives will be 84" or greater N scale drivers...and have WAY too many spokes to look decent.

I'm pretty sure that if you want to add any commercial models to your layout, you'll have to use HOn3 track.
EDIT: I checked it out...all commercial models use HOn3 track.

If I was you, I'd look up Lee Rainey. He's a big time narrow gauge enthusiast...he authored the most authoritative East Broad Top book...and he's into Sn2. He'd point you in the best direction.

My attempt at scales:
T (new Japanese stuff, 1:400)
Zn3 (standards exist, but not actually in use)
Z
Nn3
N (3 different kinds)
TT
HOn2
HOn30
HOn3
HOe
HOm
HO
OO (British)
OO (American)
Sn2
Sn3
Sn42 (for them New Zealanders)
S
S (Hi-rail)
On18
On2
On30
0e
On3
0m
Proto:48 (different track gauge)
O (actually O-60" for North America...different in UK)
O hi-rail
O broad gauge (for GWR modelers)
No. 1 gauge
1:29 (aristocraft's stuff)
1:24 (1/2" scale)
Gn15
G
Fn3
F (yes, it is out there...usually in conjunction with Fn3 stuff)
I intend to create, someday, Fn2...The Gilpin Gold tram using either O or proto:48 track...scales out to be very close to 24" gauge...to be used in a future garden alongside a Colorado Central layout in Fn3
and I'll cut it off there...skipping 1 1/2" scale and such...

pgandw

The only obvious omission is HOj - 1/80 scale on HO gauge track, used primarily in Japan. Somewhat similar to the various N scales for the same track.

only15

Thankyou all so much for replying,
but unfortunately my Sn2 adventures have been cut short (numerous reasons):cry:wall1:cry:wall1.
However i am still able to build in HOn30, And i cant wait:thumb:! (it still narrow gauge!)

Thanks Again,
Nathan

Do Gn30, Gn3 and Gn3 exist?
Gn30 is about the same as Gnomys and it has a small following. I just posted my pinapple car that is roughly Gn 24,,,,,,now we are getting into the really odd gauges..... I am working now in 1.22.5 standard gauge in matte baord. I know of 3 other people in the US working in this scale.:rolleyes:
Papertrain

There is also a following in OO narrow gauge and TT narrow gauge. The list can go on and on because there are variants in every scale and gauge. There is 7/8" scale also. this is mostly modelers doing industrial railroads. Small diesel locos. 12" to 16" gauge. my head is swimming in gauge and scale.:1:

Bill Nelson

a Hon3 power option.

Last summer RMC had an article on converting a HO standard gauge 70 ton Bachman GE diesel to HOn3. the conversion involved some custom wheels made by NWSL. When the article was published, NWSL made the custom wheels a stock item.

I have acuired a locomotive and the wheels for a conversion, and will open a thread covering the conversion when I start that project.

Bill Nelson