Independance Day

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by MOS95B, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Anyone ever seen models from this movie? Just got finished watching it yet again, and began wishing......
  2. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Thats really and I must have been watching at the same time, cause I thought of the exact same thing while it was playing...
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I personally could go for a detailed City Destroyer. If I could figure out the formula for making domes on paper I would make one myself.
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

any company have a f18 model :)

just kiding i never see amodel of the aliens craft
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Domes on paper is really easy childs play if you have a drafting program. First draw out the side view of the ship (black) then decide how you want to divide up the curves draw a vertical line through the middle and extend all the graduated line segments till they intersect the center line (red) and set your compass to that radius and draw out the circles (blue).

Now is where having a cad program makes it much easier cause you can have the program tell you the exact length of a curve so that's how I will explain it. First figure out the circumference of the finished part then divide that by the circumference of the circle you drew (blue) then multiply the result by 360 and that is the angle you need to draw on your blue circle and voila you have your part

Attached Files:

6. Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks! :D I'll start working on a CD right away.
  7. diamondback

diamondback Member

That works for the basic shape, but the dimple around the command-tower and the (superlaser?) BFG are probably gonna be the dicey section. The tower's just a long, tall, skinny box; the problem is its interaction with the dome and the dimple at its aft edge.
  8. Millenniumfalsehood

All I'd have to do is cut a circle out of the side of the dome and put in a concave dimple. The superlaser is so miniscule compared to the size of the whole ship that it could be represented by a small circle. I think I could cheat on the "bridge" by making the dimple in two sections and have it attach to the floor of the interior.