Incline Railway

Mechanism and Carriage awaiting the mountain & snow to appear around it.

The drive is a junked 12v cordless drill, with a 5/16 threaded rod and modified Nut pulling the Carriage up and down via Cable.

Attachments

• incline1a.JPG
    incline1a.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 264
  • incline2a.JPG
    incline2a.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 261
  • inclinemec.JPG
    inclinemec.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 257
  • inclinemedrive.JPG
    inclinemedrive.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 266
Interesting car design. Is there a prototype? I've never seen a car braced up to ride horizontally up an inclined railroad. I have a book on Alpine railroads in in the Alps and can't spot this arrangement. My only personal experiences is riding the Mount Washington Cog Railway and for a while, I lived near the foot of the long-abandoned Otis Elevating Railway in the Catskill Mountains in NY.

Both used passenger cars tha rode parallel to the tracks and the Otis cars, I've read, had seats that could be adjusted to compensate for the incline angle.

Wayne

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Normally the incline cars are built with stepped compartments like in the first picture (Fribourg, Switzerland).
But now and then you find a single horizontal cabin which is simply braced up. In most cases the cabin is quite short like in the second pic (incline at Horsehoe Curve PA). Picture 3 shows a longer cabin, although the bracing is covered up. This is a top modern version of Damien's principle.

Damien, surely your model looks more interesting than the covered up version in the alst page. I remember having seen such a contraption somewhere, but I just couldn't find a picture. And the mechanism is ingenious! :thumb:

Ron

Attachments

• Funi Fribourg.jpg
    Funi Fribourg.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 251
  • Funi Horseshoe.jpg
    Funi Horseshoe.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Funi Orvieto.JPG
    Funi Orvieto.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 246
Thanks for the nice comments folks.
The idea came from the site of London Model Railway Group in London Ontario.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/InclineRwy.html

I found it while searching for model train related electronics. My incline is loosely based on their loosely based idea from Port Stanley, Ontario.
My results will show perfectly why i've named my Railway Over Engineered (smirk).
II chose a larger Carriage design as this railway is the only transport available to the proposed Big Mountain Ski Resort, hence the snow plow front & rear of the Car.

Wayne: yes there is a prototype, this is it ( Mine is it ), i'm sure it will be copied. lol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I remember riding one of these somewhere in Europe...Sicily I think. The advantage of bracing the car to ride horizontally, is the elimination of stairs in the platforms, it simplifies platform construction, and helps improve loading and unloading the car. Passengers can move clear of the car more easily. It also simplifies car construction.
Pete

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
sumpter250 said:
I remember riding one of these somewhere in Europe...Sicily I think. The advantage of bracing the car to ride horizontally, is the elimination of stairs in the platforms, it simplifies platform construction, and helps improve loading and unloading the car. Passengers can move clear of the car more easily. It also simplifies car construction.
Pete

There is a similar construction in former Eastern Germany, where there is just a platform (like an elevator) and normal coaches are lifted up to the next level.

Similar construction is preserved as a museum railroad in Romania's loggin line in Covasna were the logging cars are moved between the two levels.

Attachments

• kovaszna1024i.JPG
    kovaszna1024i.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 201

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Damien,

hehehe, this is the problem when you're not communicating in the native language! (Mine is German, you know.) Und then I am soooo accustomed to click on everything which is underlined, so I gave no second thought to the true meaning of your sentence. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

But now I got it! :thumb: :wave:

Yet still I have the nagging feeling that somewhere I saw a picture of an incline which really was a lookalike of your system! (Perhaps I'll find it one day... :) )

Ron

PS: everything isn't a link, either! :D :D :D