Incline...or Decline?

77railer

Hey gang,

Has anyone ever thought about playing a trick on the old noggin and instead of trying to increase the grade of our tracks, making our engines grown under the strain, decreasing the benchwork. What I mean is lower the benchwork on a rather steep grade as it progress to give the illution of the train running in higher country. Im thinking it would work rather well in a mountain scene, could even carry the benchwork to the floor and have the mountain go from floor up. Or would it still look like a train traveling on a line? Has anyone done this...are there any examples I might be able to see? I realize in a small space this would probably not work but what if you had 20 or more feet to work with?

77Railer....Dusty Old Railssign1

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I know there is an N-traks module out there with a bridge scene - the train stays level with the fore & aft modules, running across the bridge..... The Scenery goes from a foot above the bridge to 2 feet under the bridge - really cool in N :) :)

N

nachoman

ahh the old optical illusion. i think this would work, to a degree. But maybe more effective if you could split the difference. If you could make about a half percent grade, and vary the scenery base, it may be quite convincing. You would need a large layout, though

kevin

77railer

The wall Im going to have this on will give me a 40 ft run once the building gets done which will be awhile. Thanks for your suggestions and comments...

77railer

baldwinjl

I am planning a section where a separated double track mainline crosses itself, and I don't have a lot of space to do it. So I the plan is that one lines goes up, the other down, they cross, and then reverse the process to rejoin. At least that's the plan. We'll se what it looks like in real life in the weeks ahead!

Jeff

DougF

If you want an idea of what this would look like go to the Rails on Wheels website (www.railsonwheels.com). In the photo section are pictures of a 180 degree curve that does what you seem to be writing about. The double track seperates and one crosses over the other in the middle on bridges. It recrosses in a tunnel at grade to complete the operation. Both tracks have grades. This is all on portable modules. Hope this helps.

Doug

Here's a pic that shows a little about what you're talking about. I wanted a tall trestle so used a 2" layer of foam over my entire layout to cheat the base elevation up 2". I then used 4% grades to get up as high as I could, but then cut out the foam in the area that will be a lake to increase the relative height of the finished trestle.
Doc
acu.jpg