"In the heat" Phoenix swap meet

ezdays

Out AZ way
Who is going to the swap meet up at that church on N. Central? Would be nice to get a group of Gaugers together there, if only for a short time.

In case you didn't know, it's one week from today, July 26th, at the church on the corner of Central Ave. and Bethany Home Road.

N

nachoman

Thanks for reminding me. I will do my best to go, especially since the location of show is a nice bike ride from my house. But then again, it's probably going to be miserable outside and I will wind up driving. :)

Kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks for reminding me. I will do my best to go, especially since the location of show is a nice bike ride from my house. But then again, it's probably going to be miserable outside and I will wind up driving. :)

Kevin
Since we're both on the far west side, Woodone (Jerry) and myself will be going together. I can give you my cell # and we can get together there for a few minutes if you'd like. It's always fun to meet fellow Gaugers at these things.

N

nachoman

Well, I made it, and got to briefly meet Ezdays, Woodone, and Combat. I managed to ride my bike there and got good exercize and a sweat-soaked shirt in return.

The show was pretty typical - mostly used HO stuff manufactured at least 20 years ago. There is always a fair amount of Lionel, and this time I saw much more N scale than the past few shows i have been to. I picked up a Mantua 4-4-2 atlantic for 15 bucks. It is a little spartan on details but runs pretty well and nothing is broken on it. I aslo picked up a pair of those woodland scenics building kits at two bucks a piece. And then there was the woman still selling the Keystone HOn3 shaw with the NWSL motoring kit together for 60 bucks. She was at the last show I went to. It's a screamin' deal, but I had to tell myself (again) that I would not buy it because I still have an unfinished Rounhouse shay sitting in my cabinet.

Kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah Kevin, it was good meeting you. TrainNut was suppose to be there, but sometimes families have a way of getting one to change priorities.:mrgreen: Anyway, there was a lot more N scale there this time, I think they added another row of tables in an already crowded room so you can imagine what going up and down even narrower isle was like, it's not wonder we missed all those good deals. Well, for the most part, I've seen most of what was there at past shows, you expect bargains and when you see everyone looking for top dollar, I guess you go away discuraged and you'll wind up seeing the same suff at the next show, and the next one after that.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I kinda pooped out, still not fully recovered from my surgery, but I did get to see it all, and did get to meet some fellow Gaugers.:thumb: :thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Whoops. Sorry guys... the short story is... I totally spaced it. It's been one of those weeks and I had the rare opportunity this morning to be lazy and sleep in. The rest of the morning, we spent running errands. It's probably for the better as my train budget has been depleted for a while anyways.

ezdays

Out AZ way
You were indeed missed. Because of you not showing up, a couple of vendors had to stay a lot longer since they didn't sell as much stuff....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Honestly, you didn't miss much. There were few bargains there in N scale, and I think Kevin got all those. Most of what I saw, was the same things that were in a lot of previous shows, and they were still asking somewhere around list price for it all and wondering why no one was buying. One guy had a bunch of nice RR books, all for $3 a piece. I was going to buy a couple of them, just to have them, but I couldn't pick them up because of my arm so I had to leave them there.:curse: Other people were selling books like that for $10 to $20 each.

The only thing I bought was a RR mug for my collection, $2 wasn't bad, even if I add in the $5 admission charge. :thumb:

BTW, there is a show up in Prescott on Aug 9th, but neither I or Woodone plan on going. I usually come back from Prescott with a lot more than I get at any of our local shows, but I think I need to skip this one. I'd hate to drive 200 miles round trip, and be disappointed, not with gas at $4 a gallon.