in search of motor brushes for old atlas fmc units

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well guys i hit a wall in finding brushes for around 15 of the 40 locos i got my hands on they are old atlas fmc's made in the late 60's here are some photos of them if any one would have some brushes it would be helpful. they are in n scale the frist one is a side view

Attachments

• fmc 1.jpg
    fmc 1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 66

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
HI Scooby, I can't tell from the photos what kind of brushes would be required but if the brushes are the type that fit into an enclosed housing and are held in with a spring then a shaved down hard pencil lead will make good brushes...the trick is to find a lead that's just slightly larger than the hole for the brush and then sand or shave it down so it fits.

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well vic the brushes are the ones that are held in by a dubble end shaft on the top of the motor their is two small screws you take them out and their is a plate under it that swings out of the way then you have to remove a shaft on top of the motor to get to the brushes i know the photos it is hard to see the motor and the shaft but my digi cam broke so i had to use my son cheap digi cam but their is a spring to hold the brush in place i'll try it out on one of them and see if it works the thing is i wanted to resale them but in working order.

there is another thing i would like to know if any one has a book that would tell me how much they are worth they are all in good conditon and some are still in the box never been opened i would like to sell some of them off and don't want them to go for pennys.. like i got them all for..

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
good luck finding them scooby been looking my self and no luck so far the motors are made by riversssi for altas so if you find drop me a line too:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: rich

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
update on my search i might have found some brushes for the old timers i have now it is just wait and see if they fit and run i had to send off one of the locos to atlas this moring and they should have it tomarrow i should hear back from them later this week ( i hope )

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
well every one the surch is over i found brushes for old atlas units. i had motors from the newer atlas locos in a box so i pulled the brushes out and put them in the motors of the old units and they worked (hee hee hee) this guy from atlas called me to day and told me good luck on finding some so i just got off the phone with him and told im what i did so he took the loco i sent him and tried it out and he said he don't know how but it worked the only thing you would have to do is spin the shaft by hand to put a grove it the brush and it is tight at frist but let it run for awhile to get the motor used to the new brush no it is off to the hobby shop to order the brushes for the rest of the locos