In search of a continuous train shelf...

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by June, Feb 21, 2005.

1. June

June New Member

Howdy everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read this. A good friend of ours gave our newborn son his first train set. It's not just any train set, it's a Lionel! I'd like to run a continuous shelving around my son's room for the train. Do you know of anyone that sells these shelves ready-to-install? Any suggestions would be of great value. Thank you!!
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You will have to lay the track, but any shelf brackets you can find at Home Depot (with suitable strength rating) should be fine. I would make shelves from 3/4" ply, and mount the track near the edge for best visibility from below. You might also want to consider some sort of plexiglas edge to prevent the train taking a drop if it derails...

Also - welcome to The Gauge!

3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge June. I have seen a round the room shelf that was made out of 1/4 clear plexiglass so the train could be seen from below. It was mounted with brackets like Andrew mentioned. Don't forget you will need wires going up the wall to connect to the track
  4. June

June New Member

Wow, I never even thought about the train derailing or plexiglass for better viewing. We definately want to do this right so we don't injustice this beautiful set. Thank you, and please let me know if anything else comes to mind.
  5. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

6. Freelancer

Freelancer Member

I did a quick search on yahoo for suspended track, here are just a couple of pages that I found.

Here are a couple commercial web sites-

and here are a couple of sites from do it yourself people-

If you check out the prices of these commercial products you will find that a project like this can become quite costly. If you are handy with tools I suppose you could do it yourself and come out with a fine looking suspended railway at the fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

7. June

June New Member

Thanks for the links-They're exactly what I'm looking for! Now I'm going to want this running throughout our home...I'm in trouble! ;)
  8. cabdriver

cabdriver Member

That's always how it happens, June. Get a simple train set, albeit a nice one, and then you are laying track throughout the house. Welcome to The-Gauge and to model railroading!
  9. sammyd

sammyd Member

I am building one using the 11.75"x5/8" shelving available at most DIY stores and instead of using the big shelf brackets that go under the shelves I am trying 6" L brackets.
    It's a cleaner looking install and once you paint them to match the shelf and put some scenery on the shelf they won't be seen.
    I have seen some folks run their shelf at 8" or 12" from the ceiling but I asked for permission from HQ to run it at about 24" from the ceiling. This will require a little modification of the trim around a door and will cost me about 4" of the front window but so far it's looking good and will come in cheaper than buying a prebuilt shelf.
  10. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Welcome aboard June. :wave: It sounds like you have just been bitten by the model railroad bug. It's incurable, but that's ok. You won't want a cure!!!!

11. jetrock

jetrock Member

I can never understand the facsination some people seem to have for staring at the bottoms of their model trains, from underneath...
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Jetrock, it kind of depends what height you install the shelf at. I don't think June has said anything about the height yet. It could be at 48" for all we know.