In need of Loco/engine buyers guide

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by YmeBP, Dec 25, 2006.

1. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I'm new to the hobby side of model rr's and i have been trollign the forum for a while. I've purchased an athearn bluebox super weight and i'm in the market for a couple more hobby grade engines, however i have no idea what to look for.

I do have a couple of criteria.
    1) Doesn't have to be ultra realistic. This is my first go and i'd prefer to have great running gear that i can interchange shells on.
    2) less than 100$

Athern, and lifelike proto 1000 have been suggested but how do i tell specifics w/in the model lineup like how many pickup/drive wheels etc.

I found this browseing for amtrak stuff.
  2. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Scroll down in this review forum a few lines and you will see my review of that exact Kato F40PH engine. :D

Oh, and further below is my review of the Bachmann Amfleet cars for that Kato engine to pull. :D:D
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Slightly embarrasing admission: i read that review 3 times :) since i've joined the gauge and for what ever reason i didn't put 2+2 together!!!! :oops:

Thanks for both the review and reminding me it was there! There is soooo much stuff i'm doing i get all excited and forgetful. Today i'm laying the bus wiring on my layout and finishing up the installation of my corral for the foam.

This weekend coming i'm going to install my first switch(turnout) in my layout and my son and i are going to paint and assemble some scenery.

Next weekend we are going to install our new kadee #5's on some of our stock and assemble some of the roundhouse cars i got :).

Hopefully by then my new amtrak engine will be here.