Important Question!!!!!!

LarryGarrett

Dec 10, 2002
Kansas City, Missouri
Visit site
Okay, if you remember correctly, right around Christmas (give or take a few days), there was major a discussion regarding smoking....and yes, it stayed friendly.........BUT, I don't think we ever addressed the "real" question in regard to model railroading and the smoker/non-smoker debate::::::::Sooooooo, here it is, for those with the #$^%& to answer it.
SHOULD STEAM ENGINES BE ALLOWED TO SMOKE?

Well, I've seen discouraging remarks elsewhere concerning the unrealistic appearance, and the oily soot left on the layout, etc.

So I've got three new non-smokers, and one old Revell smoker, which is a UP tank engine switcher (0-6-0) I got for $15 at a hobby shop.
So guess which one everybody wants to see run? You guessed it,
it's Thomas.

I'm wonderin' how to convince that IHC 4-4-0 to start smoking.
:D :D :D

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
So, what warnings would we see on said hoppers?

WARNING: THE SURGEON GENERAL HAS DETERMINED THAT COAL SMOKE WITH A HIGH SULFUR CONTENT MAY SMELL BAD.

WARNING: COAL SOOT MAY SOIL CLOTHING.

WARNING: IMPROPER USE OF COAL MAY CAUSE STAINING OF TEETH.

WARNING: TRAINS MAY BE ADDICTIVE.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
You're limiting yourself...

You're limiting yourself since deisels, cabooses and plenty of smokestacks (industrial buildings) smoke. Heck- I had a sign over my bed (as a much younger man) that read, "No Smoking Use A Lubricant".:rolleyes:

"They" are out to ban toy guns in NYC just because "crminals" use them to commit crimes. Your toy trains will be next, I'm sure they'll start with ones that smoke. Eventually your neighbor or a "friend" will turn you in.:eek:

Perhaps you should be running your trains from solar panels?;)

Mark

btw- If you wanna see that IHC 4-4-0 smoke- run a 220 line over to the track (temporary connection will do) and "fire" that baby up! This only works once so take plenty of pictures and video!

:D :D :D

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Originally posted by LarryGarrett

Only if it is authentic. Isn't the stuff that comes out of the stack steam? Or am I completely wrong about this? :confused:

If it is steam, then instead of dropping some slimy oil in the engine, a manufacturer should produce a real steam engine. Perhaps a coil that could be superheated by DC with a little reservoir of water that is time released to let a few drops of water on the coil periodically. That would be cool. :cool:

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Hmm. Most models I've seen that "smoke" may be nice for a while; but they don't really reporduce the prototype. If you're luck enough to see a real steam locomotive, you'll note that sometimes it makes white smoke, sometimes black, and any combination in between. Also, there are times when little, if any, comes out of the stack.

As for other sources of smoke, Alco diesels were noted for their smoke -- it's part of their charm. I saw a set of
Alco PA's last summer on the Grand Canyon Railway that you would have thought were a steam locomotive.

Jest my two cents worth!

DanRaitz

May 30, 2002
Maricopa, AZ, USA
Dave,

Those ALCO's on the Grand Canyon RR are FA's not PA's.
We could only wish that they were PA's. :(
There are currently only two PA's in the United States, both are non-operational. They are currently residing at Portland Oregon in the process of being restored. One is going to to go the Smithstonion(sp?) in Washington DC and the other is owned by Doyle McCormick (Mr. 4449).
The FA was the 4 axle freight verision of the 6 axle passenger PA.

Dan

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site

NO.

The ultimate goal of any competent fireman, was to produce as little smoke as possible. The darkness of the exhaust was unburned fuel, going up the stack, instead of providing power to the locomotive. Most locomotives were firetube boilers, and excess soot would coat the firesides, and reduce the efficiency of heat transfer to the water, robbing even more power.
The plastic fireman who allows the steam engine to smoke, is repainted as a hobo!