IMPORTANT :-> My site... What's wrong?!

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Hello again, fellow hobbists,

I'm here agin with this thread to ask you something, and I need your cooperation and the truth "and nothing more than the truth"!!! :)

Most of you have as the main official language the english. So one of my questions is:

-What do you think about my english in a scale 1-20? (That's how my school give me grades - I'm an 18 student in the english class)

Another one is:

-What do you think about my site's design? It's clear, good for "netsurfing"?

I'm asking you this because one guy came to me saying that my site is all wrong...

Please, say what you think about it.

Thank again for your time! :)

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Luis - Your 18 grade looks pretty close. I have no trouble understanding you at all. I could, if I felt like it, find usage errors, but then I can do that with our local newspaper! I've seen many, many posts on various forums that have much poorer English, and were from people who I assume had English as their native language.

I just re-visited your website. The only things I could find wrong were:
1. The "Stock list" link isn't working (probably it isn't broke, you just haven't made it yet.)
2. I couldn't find a link the The Gauge!:)

Actually, I think it is fine -- easy to navigate around in, interesting material, etc. I'm sure as the LD&LV progresses it will become even more interesting.

I read (and signed) your guest book and didn't see any negative comments at all. Of course some of them were private and some of them weren't in English. So I can't address any criticisms directly, but I bet that they were more sour grapes than anything else.

In short, don't worry about it!

billk

C

Catt

Luis,your site is just fine.I've had no problem while visiting it.Your English is excellent. If that guy has a problem with your site I would say it is his problem.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I agree whit what billk and Catt! say Luis. You do very well with your english you deserve 18 or higher.
Your site is well designed so can't understand why anyone would tell you different.
Just ignore them.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Agreed. One thing to remember is that, like "rivet counters" in model railroading, there are also "byte counters" in the internet world (couldn't think of a catchier name).

Nothing is good enough but perfection for these fellows/gals, and THEY decide what perfection means. Shrug it off and keep plugging away on the layout!!!

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Great site great car. Good luck on the layout and since the 106 and 206 are not available here in the states, I would be happy to take your's off of your hands.

Was wondering if you are a FIM Rally fan and what you think of the disqualification of the 206's last time out.

(You write better english than most of the people I know who have it as their native tongue.)

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Thank you for the feedback! i guess that guy isn't as friendly as you are!

the rolling stock isn't ready yet, because i cant get any photos of my rolling stock. I have to ask a friend to come here to my place to take some photos.

Thanks agian for your kind words!

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
English

Hi Luis, Absolutley no problem with your English:) You do very very well!:) Don't worry about some very minor spelling errors. A lot of people for whom English is their first language make them too because of some strange spelling rules in the English language. Also some of the spelling of words in English is just a little bit different in England than it is in the USA but most of those words are pronounced the same way.

In addition to my hobby of model railroads I am an amateur radio operator and I have spoken many times, in English, to operators in your country. All were very well versed in English and I am just wondering if English is taught as a mandatory second language in your country's schools?

Great to have you on board at The Gauge!:)