Image Restrictions

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
Hi everyone, to prevent people uploading images that are 3 to 4 times the width of most peoples screens we have introduced new
image restrictions. The maximum image dimensions are now 1024 x 768. File size remains the same at 102K.

Regards
Dave Hagan

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Good move Dave, huge photos are annoying for us dialup folks as well as being hard to look at even on my 21''screen....the 102k is more than generous, alot more than on most forums I've frequented.

C

Catt

I'm not on a dial-up and I still think those large by huge pics are a pain in the arse. I applaude this move Sir Dave. :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thank you Dave! I also found it annoying to have to scrolling back and forth to view a great picture. I do love to look at others work and find it very inspirational..:D :D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
A good move, Dave. Thank you!

I prefer to see a picture in one piece and simply detest scrolling around a pic until I've seen all of it.

Like tomboygirl and Tyson said, 102 kB REALLY is enough to show off what you want!
And if somebody really wants a BIIIIG picture of something posted here, he/she still can get directly in contact with the author and have him send a Megabyte-picture by e-mail (perhaps) :D :D :D

Ron

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
FYI Dave, that only seems to work when you're UPLOADING an image. If you're bringing it in through the IMG button from another website, it doesn't seem to be able to restrict it.

I brought in one that was 1453 pix wide, then checked your image restrictions and shrunk it myself to 900 or so. But it let me link it in no problem.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
As a "new member" of this forum I have been spending a bunch of time viewing pictures. I'm impressed, but with dial-up service some pages take five or more minutes to fully download and some threads have eight and more pages.

Two things I try to do when I upload pictures to any forum. One, I reduce the picture size (# of pixels) in my photo app, and second, I reduce the picture quality slightly. Just a few percentage reduction in a jpg can make a significant reduction in the file size without losing anything significant on the screen.

As an example, I just now took a 1 meg picture and reduced the picture size by 50% and lowered the quality to 90% and wound up with a 47K file that still viewed nicely on the screen.

Regardless, I am still going to continue to go through all these picture threads. Not only are they enjoyable, I've learned a lot just by looking.

Don

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Welcome ezdays, you've found a great place!!

Sounds like you got the photo thing down. I usually just go do a short chore while the big pages load, they are worth the wait!

RockMike...thats interesting, hopefully people who are linking will know how to keep thier size under control ;)

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Dumb question from computer-illiterate old-guy

Is there an easy way to look up / determine the image size?
I don't have a digital camera, and a friend is scanning my prints and emailing them back to me.
I save them in a 'my computer' file, in Windows 98, as JPEG files.The size reference on the individual sidebars of each picture only shows "KB's" , not image size.
thanks / Mike
:confused: :confused:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Mike,

If you have a photo app, and you should have at least one if you have a scanner, there should be a menu item that allows you to view and change the image size. I use a program called PhotoPlus, only because I do beta testing for Serif products and that's one of them. PhotoPlus has a menu "image" and an entry "image size". I can then hold the aspect ratio and change either the pixels or dimensions of one side of the picture and the other dimension and factor changes with it. Secondly, I have a menu item "export optimizer" that allows me to select the quality and other characteristics of a jpg or other format. Another app I have, Photimpact does the same thing but uses a "format/dimensions" menu item and "save as/options" for setting quality.

Just about any photo app will allow you to import in one format and export or save in another. That allows you to take a large bmp file and change it to a much smaller compacted jpg file.

I hope this answers your question.

Don

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Good Move Dave.....I was getting Space Invaders wrist scrolling around looking at some of those huge pictures.

I don't know about the other photoshop programs, I have them, but the one I use MS Picture It lets you choose the size of the picture to be posted. You can go as small as thumbnail to as big as Panoramic. I pick the 320 pix...Small enough to post, big enough to still see the detail. Plus this program compresses the image to a more managable size in jpeg,jpg.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hello Mike,

exactly for this job (resizing pictures for posting) I'm using IRFAN Viewer. It's easy to use, you can view almost every possible version of graphics (and movies and even sound files), and you can convert every pic into all different kinds of graphic formats.

And the best: You can download it free ( :cool: :cool: :cool: ) at
http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/

Have fun - and show us your pics! :D

Ron

Dave Hagan

Jul 23, 2001
Mike, you're right, we can't control the size of images that are linked from other sites, only images uploaded to our server.

I think the 1024 X 748 dimensions are still very generous.

Regards
Dave Hagan

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Perhaps a note...

...on the photo page itself.

The maximum image dimensions are now 1024 x 768. File size remains the same at 102K.

I made a note and filed it in my Gauge directory but I'd think this is a continuing item and this thread will get buried eventually.

Mark

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by Dave Hagan
"Mike, you're right, "

....Thanks Dave, but I can't be RIGHT, because I've no idea what I said, or meant ??!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ezdays : I don't have a scanner, that's why I had someone else do the scanning.
RailRon, thanks for the IRFAN tip, will check it out.
Thanks everyone else for the input & advice.
rgds/Mike

:D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Mike,

You should be able to find a phot app just about anywhere for little or no bucks. Serif usually has older versions of PhotoPlus available for just S/H in hopes of you buying upgrades. Even some printers have a freebie photo app on their install disk. If you're interested, I can see if I can find one that you can download for free.

Don

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Well, I just found a problem with the 1024x768 size restriction. It wont allow me to upload a 600x800, 87kB image, since the X size is bigger than 768, even though the overall size is smaller than total max size.

Would it be possible to have the 1024x768 restriction for the picture, regardless of it's orientation, so it's either 1024x768 or 768x1024?

Jesper

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by ezdays
and lowered the quality to 90% and wound up with a 47K file that still viewed nicely on the screen.

Rule of thumb: you can reduce quality to 75% before any perceivable loss in quality.

Someone asked about how to determine the size of an image, a quick and easy way is just to open the image in a browser window, like IE or netscape (do file | open and point it to the image on hte hard drive), then right click and select properties from the menu. This will show the size in pixels as well as KB's :)