I'm thinking about buying either N scale or Z scale trains

Elite Lancer

Nov 9, 2005
Now this will be my first and probably only train set of model trains. I need a little help deciding what to get and good website links.

I'm not rich so I'll probably start out small and work up over time buying things that I like. What I'd like to work up to is a set for a cargo train that carries mostly logs or coal or basically any open roof car that carries stuff. I'd like to have a cool train that looks fit for the job, a small roundhouse (3 door one), a loading station, and some kind of bridhe for somthing.

Now, what should I consider getting to reach this goal? I'm not getting it all at once but give me a good idea of some good products or some websites.

JasonRP

Oct 28, 2005
Hi there!

I'm relatively new myself, but from what I can tell, it seems that there is substantially more available in n-scale. If size is your main concern, you might want to investigate z-scale. Other than that, I'd personally pick n. There is a lot more n-scale stuff around, both new and on eBay used.

Jason

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Go N-scale unless you really like to lug your layout around in a suitcase (or breifcase), which is what Z-scale is best suited for.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
If you're not rich, choose N. Z is heaps of cash, particularly for nice diesels...

And you get more space covered with each piece of N stuff (as it's bigger), quite apart from it being cheaper because there's a bigger market.

Elite Lancer

Nov 9, 2005
OK thanks for the info guys. i'm definitely going to get N scale then. Now i just need to design a layout as a goal for what I want to work up to. Or have someone else design it for me lol.

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Get into the Track Planning for the Future area of this forum. There's loads of lunatics on there who'll be glad to help... no questions are too dumb...

glenn railey

Aug 7, 2005
Georgia
I am new to the smaller scales also. I had to decide between the N and Z scales. I chose the N for several reasons:
It is easier to build layouts for the N scale. No matter how much you think that this is a casual hobby this REASON will be the most appreciated advice you will get.

It is MUCH cheaper in the N scale than the Z scale.

There are many more resources available in the N scale than the Z scale.

Take this advice SERIOUSLY!

Glenn from Locust Grove

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Paris and Burgondy, France
SteamerFan said:
Go N-scale unless you really like to lug your layout around in a suitcase (or breifcase), which is what Z-scale is best suited for.

Not necessarly. Myself, as a Z-scaler, I'm thousands light-years from suitcase/briefcase/coffee-table layouts, as I'm working on a 6.50 meter x 4 meter layout that will represent chosen parts of the Tehachapi Pass.

My goal when chosing Z scale? Having close to prototype broad curves (minimum radius 50cm / 20"), and running typical 80-car trains, that amaze me as here in Europe freight trains seldom have more than 20-25 cars...And for this goal, even N scale is unpracticable in my given space.

Dominique