im the new guy

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by railroader122, Aug 16, 2006.

1. railroader122

railroader122 New Member

hello everyone my name is shane moore ilol tell you a little about my self. i have over 8 sets of lionel train have been getting since i was five still have all of them. im now 13 years old. i recently got a large inheritance form my great grandfarther who loved trains as much as i do. i got some old locos ill name my favorite, the no.17 inspection car. i no verey little about it though. i no its quite rare.for my b-day i got the new fastrak form lionel and an 0-6-0 dockside switcher made by lionel. i would like to learn more about this hobby so any help would be nice!!!:)

Shane Moore
  2. railroader122

railroader122 New Member

sorry i meant the no.68 inspection car:cry:
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Hello Shane and welcome. Wish I had kept my Lionel train set but it went somewhere. Don't loose the old stuff. It's very collectable.
  4. railroader122

railroader122 New Member

thanks will do!:)
  5. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Welcome Aboard Shane !!!! :wave:
  6. railroader122

railroader122 New Member

thanks Micheal!!!!
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi Shane. I got the #68 when I was a bit younger than you. I traded most of my Lionel in at one point, and I sometimes wish I hadn't.
    My inspection car stopped running before I sold it. There were some complaints about it from my friends because the styling mixed up different car models. I couldn't tell.

P.S my cat has no trouble lauching himself up onto the layout from any chair in the room or from the floor.
  8. railroader122

railroader122 New Member

that really stinks that yours stopped running.After like 40-60 years mine still runs even though i just got it form my grandpa.
    p.s you must have a cat that really likes trains!!!!!!
  9. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi Shane:
    I model in S-Gauge but since it is between O & HO, freely borrow from both. Truth be known, I’ll borrow from any gauge or hobby if I think it will add something to my enjoyment. I have a few Lionel and MTH accessories on my modules and they work well with the S-Gauge stuff. Do you have any operating accessories? What type of layout do you have? Are you doing “Hi-Rail”, Tin plate or are you more interested in a realistic “scale” look? I don’t have a layout of my own but run trains with a modular club here in the Carolinas. I have four 4-foot and two 5-foot modules of my own.

Sounds like you have quite a collection of trains. Does any of your family or friends share your enjoyment of the hobby? You state in your profile you like planes and cars too. Do you model these as well?

Welcome to The-Gauge. Be sure and check out the archives for some good articles on different aspects of RR modeling. There have been many very knowledgeable people here at this site over the years so hang out and ask questions. Also, check out the O-Gauge forum at: That site is almost completely devoted to O-Gauge modeling so you may find more info and expertise there.

10. Geno

Geno Member

Congratulations on your inheritance from your Grandfather- hopefully you will enjoy them as much as he did. My dad bought me my first train sets when I was eight, and more than thirty years later my collection has grown to where I'm ready to build my first layout.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those old Lionel sets anymore, but the memory of those good times built the foundation of my collection today. I focus mainly on modern scale diesel engines and rolling stock, but that doesn't mean I don't like the older stuff. There is just too much awesome new 'old stuff, like anything from the Postwar celebration collection, or even the new Lionel Big Boy coming out soon. I kind of wish I had someone who willed their trains to me- that would have probably got me into steamers.

My advice to you is too collect what you like- new or old, and don't be afraid to run it. These trains were meant to be enjoyed, not be stored unused in boxes. If you have to chance, join a club, it's a great way to learn from more experienced train guys, and you'll be able to run your trains on a big layout.