I'm ready to give it a try. First layout!

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
The ceiling tile is working out real well. I gave mine two coats of a brown / tan paint including the edges. It doesn’t seem to crush as easy as the foam board either. It does a great job at keeping the track quiet. I mean Fastrack is just like the regular old track it is inherently noisy to some people.

CB Fastrack is nice to work with but I would be the first to say if you have the time and skills there are some other choices that are more prototypical. How ever in my opinion while the Real Trac looks better it is a large pain to work with when compared to Fastrack. I would hate to take Real Trac apart too many times.

[FONT=&quot]CB also the old 0-27 track looks and does just as nice of a job. The problem with Fastrack is the price of the turnouts / switches. I used 0-36 remote turnouts and I needed six. That is 6 times $59; it ate up my track budget real fast.[/FONT]

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I have been busy doing things that you really can’t see like completing the wiring of the set. My final track came in so I was able to complete siding #1 and siding #2. If time is on my side I will finish the elevated track this weekend. I have made one adjustment to the elevated track. I was going to use a total of three bridge sections but I have reduced this to three. It appears that MTH is on back order for the sections I need and they are not due until June.

Track #1 is wired for TMCC and Conventional using the TMCC system, TPC 400 and a 180 Watt Power Brick. Track #2 is powered by the Lionel CW-80. Track #1 and Track #2 do connect by using four turnouts. However the tracks are insulated between the turnouts so that two trains can be run by two different power systems.

I had to wire all of the turnouts to a secondary power system. TMCC doesn’t recommend using the track to power the turnouts. For the power I use the left side post D & U of the SW 135 postwar transformer. I have reserved the right side posts A & U for the future trolley line. The advantage of using a secondary power system is that the indicator lights are always on.

I added two sidings to track #2 and I insulated these so I could park full trains. In addition I incorporated a uncouple track and a dual purpose uncouple / dump track in the sidings. So I have two choice to park trains on isolated sections of Track #2. The first is ½ of the loop, which is also isolated, or the sidings.

Track #3 will have a dual power system. The primary power will come from the MTH Z 1000 to run the Aerotrain. However I will also wire it for TMCC by using another 180 Watt power brick and a TMC Lock on. This will be a cheaper way to run both TMCC and conventional trains on the track. (To do this with just the Power Brick I would need to buy a TPC 300 or 400, so since I have the Z 1000 I will just dual wire the track)

All Power wiring is gauge 14 with two drop downs for each track. The isolated wiring is also gauge 14 from the turnouts to the on / off switches. I used common wall light switched to control the isolated track sections. I used gauge 18 for all turnout power lines to the secondary power transformer.

The only thing that was a problem with wiring the systems was that I underestimated the amount of wire that I needed. That resulted in a few extra steps to the hardware store. The mix of transformers was not planned; I just decided to use what I had so I have more than enough power even though it does take up some space.

[FONT=&quot]The layout has a total of 6 turnouts and 72 feet of track. I used both 36 and 42 curves. The total cost was – you know I am scared to death to total it all up.

I will try to post some photographs after my daughters basketball games this evening.
[/FONT]

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Here are some photographs. They show the double siding, the power center, switching center, main corss over, and just one of the big CN on the bridge.

I can't count the hours I have into this layout, it does take more time than I thought. I don't expect to have the landscaping done this year. :(

Attachments

• train 1.jpg
    train 1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 340
  • train2.jpg
    train2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 243
  • train 3.jpg
    train 3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 245
  • train4.jpg
    train4.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 241
  • train5.jpg
    train5.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 241

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Renovo, Beautiful set-up you have there. Nothing like a good 3-rail layout to get the juices flowing...Congrats and Happy Railroading...!!!:thumb:

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
It has taken just a little over a month but the track is now 90% installed. I only have the trolly line to figure out. I now have three tracks operational after completing the elevated tier last night. I don't even want to think about all the landscaping that comes next.

Sorry about the quality of the photographs I will work on that later.

Attachments

• train2.jpg
    train2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 216
  • train1.jpg
    train1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 230

granpa

Dec 19, 2006
Rio Vista, CA.
Looks good!! I have a question, What is the height from the layout table to the top of your track on your second level? I have a 9" clearance that I can build upon, and still fold up my layout. Keep posting, with my small space, I am getting ideas from you..

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
From the bottom to the top of the second tier track is 6 & 1/2 inches. So if you have that much rrom you should be able to fold it up minus any bridges or anything else above the top of the track.

I hope this helps.

granpa

Dec 19, 2006
Rio Vista, CA.
Thanks for the clearance measurement above. Finally got my 726 finished, here's a photo. Runs like a champ.

Attachments

• 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 176

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Nice question but to be 100% honest I’m not into rail yards with a ton of switching. Thus I’m not into the fabrication of the roundhouse and machine shops that would have to go with it. Though just doing the line from the end of Renovo to Driftwood would be cool. Nothing but the river and steep mountainsides and no yards.

[FONT=&quot]I might consider doing Renovo in the future but then again to do it right I would need the whole second floor of the house.

[/FONT]

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I constructed the first mountains today. After viewing and reading about many different ways to do it I went the old route, paper and plaster cloth. This has to be the fastest and easiest way to construct mountains. I had three nice ones up in less than 30 minutes with no mess.

I just crumpled the paper and taped it all together and placed them were I wanted the mountains. It was a simple process to dip the plaster cloth and cover the paper. I was surprised except for a little dust cutting the plaster cloth I really didn’t make a mess.

Tomorrow after it has set for a day I will give them a base coat of paint. I hope to have a good start on the upper tier by tomorrow so I can post some interesting photographs.

[FONT=&quot]I will admit it was more fun than I thought it would be.[/FONT]

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
These are my first mountains and my first ever at landscaping. I am happy with the results and I have applied a base coat of coloring. later this week I will start to mix some more color into the mountains. After that I hope to start with the grass, shrubs and trees effects.

Attachments

• ls1.jpg
    ls1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 244
  • ls2.jpg
    ls2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 237
  • ls3.jpg
    ls3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 243

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Ok I have move forward and now have some grass growing on the farmland. As you can see I just got it done and if you see some white stuff that is just glue that has night dried yet.

I'm not an expert in the art kind of work. I do my best and to tell the truth it isn't so hard. I used some black, grey and brown to break up the mountians, I think it worked out well.

In any event it is all of my work and the only thing I can do is plant crops so this landscape work is new to me.

Attachments

• ls4.jpg
    ls4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 221
  • ls 3.jpg
    ls 3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 225
  • ls 2.jpg
    ls 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 219
  • ls 1.jpg
    ls 1.jpg