I'm new. Help me pick my first Nitro car!

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by trapspeed, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapspeed

trapspeed New Member

Hey everyone. As you can see I'm new. A Nitro virgin. My friend has a Nitro car before and I fell in love but couldn't afford one until just recently. I plan on purchasing one today, actually. Not from a hobby shop, because they all overprice in my area; but instead on eBay. I've found several of them but being the newb that I am I'm not too sure which I should go for... If I give you guys a list of the links I found on eBay could you help me pick one? Best bang for the buck and good for a beginner (but fast too!) I'd _REALLY_ appreciate it.

Well here they are :

1.)http://***Please read Announcements forum***/ws/*********.********rd=1&item=5919190547&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
    2.)http://***Please read Announcements forum***/ws/*********.********rd=1&item=5918921446&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
    3.)http://***Please read Announcements forum***/ws/*********.********rd=1&item=5919468167&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
    4.)http://***Please read Announcements forum***/ws/*********.********rd=1&item=5919482004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
  2. trapspeed

trapspeed New Member

Should've read it more clearly.

What do you guys think about the HPI Nitro RS4 3?I can get it for 310 shipped new.
  3. Justin_E

Justin_E Member

From what Ive heard and seen its a pretty good begniner car
  4. trapspeed

trapspeed New Member

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Yea, they're having a special and there's only two left. :) "HPI RS4 Evo 3."
  5. trapspeed

trapspeed New Member

Here's a slight summary that's on the auction page.

HPI Racing is proud to announce our latest Ready To Run Nitro car: the RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo! Aimed directly at the beginner-to-intermediate Nitro touring car market, this is an updated version of our Nitro RS4 3, packed with features designed to get new owners on the street or track faster and more conveniently than ever! With a more powerful engine, Roto Start System, 2-speed transmission, prepainted body and more, this is the RTR touring car of choice for any discerning new buyer!

The RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo uses the same chassis and major components of the Nitro 3 series. Preassembled on a 2.5mm thick purple anodized 6061 aluminum chassis, the RTR 3 Evo uses a durable shaft drivetrain with a removable radio tray. An HPI TX-2 radio, receiver and servos provide for a reliable and trustworthy electronics package.

The heart of the new and improved RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo is the brand new T-15 engine, providing more mid-range power and top end speed! A tall cast aluminum heatsink head on the T-15 keeps it cool and running smoothly, and the 2-needle carb allows owners to tune the engine precisely for their conditions. The included HPI Roto Start System lets the engine start up with push-button convenience! No more fumbling for a starter cord - just attach the glow plug igniter and Roto Start, hit the button and go! The T-15 breathes through a large pre-oiled air filter and our aluminum header/composite tuned pipe combo - a great way to get tons of power to the ground!

And we didn't stop with the new engine. Also installed on the car right from the factory is our 2 Speed Transmission! In addition to boosting top speed, our 2 Speed Transmission features an adjustable shift point and changeable gear ratios for extra tuning convenience. Now RTR Nitro car owners can experience the thrill of hearing and seeing their car shift from first to second gear!

Putting the power to the ground is a ball bearing-equipped durable shaft drive system featuring strong steel dogbones and sealed gear diffs. Oil-filled coilover shocks provide the suspension action and provide an extra bit of realism for full-size sports car fans.

# A shaft drivetrain prevents damage from pebbles and stones
    # Full-time 4WD provides great handling on any paved surface
    # Our brand new T-15 engine features a large heatsink head, 2 needle adjustments and ABC construction
    # A limited-slip front diff makes driving easy and predictable
    # The removable radio tray makes cleanup simple and quick
    # 2.5mm countersunk chassis for a solid platform
    # Dual chamber tuned pipe and tube header
    # A complete set of rubber-sealed ball bearings
    # The proven Airtronics radio system keeps things under control
    # Pre-cut foam bumper keeps everything protected
    # D-Compound X-Pattern tires grip just about everywhere
    # Adjustable body posts let you fit a variety of HPI bodies

We wanted to make sure the car looks great, too, so topping off each RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo is a prepainted, trimmed and decaled body, ready to go right out of the box. Choose from the high performance BMW M3 GT or the popular Dodge Viper GTS-R! HPI D Compound X-Pattern tires are preglued onto flashy chrome plated Split 6 wheels for awesome looks and performance!
  6. TCrox

TCrox Member

I own an RS4, it's nice. Not the best manual in the world, so I've spent a lot of time at the hobby shop with it. That and the fact that I couldn't drive and kept crashing :) It's fast out of the box!!
  7. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

5919190547 the rs4 is a sweat deal fro 100 bucks!

5918921446 ok I guess but I would go with the first 1.

5919468167 Not bad but I would go for number 1.

5919482004 Not bad eather!

I dont really know what to say. The 3tec is nice, and so is the first rs4.
  8. trapspeed

trapspeed New Member

Yea but someone told me buying a used Nitro car is a no no.
  9. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well yes it can be no no, but it all depends. If you were to get that rs4 fro 100 bucks you could easyly buy a new engine if the 1 included wasent good, an still be under 300 bucks. See where im going? It really all depends on if you thik it is a good deal or not, and if ouhave the money
  10. bandit1

bandit1 Member

not to dicourage anything but! u didnt say if this was going to be ur first ever "real" rc car. Nitro, in my opinion, isnt a good way to start. i suggest going with an electric. For one, they are cheaper, and two, it lets u understand and feel how they control, before u get more speed, and more maintence.

But if ur stuck on getting a nitro, which most people do, the rs4 3 is a good choice. its built well and it is fine for parking lots and even the track. good luck
  11. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

bandit is correct, if your new to the hobby go for a electric car. Electric is alot cleaner, no nitro to worry about and tuning the engine. Also with electric you can get it to go nitro speeds! My 4tec I belive is pushing 40MPH and all I did was change the gearing and motor, all for under 50 bucks! If you want onroad there is the tc3, and also the 4tec. They are both really good cars.
  12. scott555

scott555 Member

hey my first car was a rs4 2, and when i got it i dident have a computer to go to thes forumes. the car ran great for 2 years!! i just read the instuctions and broke it in like it said to do and it lasted its 2 year worenty. i think it depends on if you like working with your hands, a nitro your suposed to take a part and clean it 1-2weeks of drivving. so if you like doing that kind of stuff a nitro wouldent be bad. but thes guys are right you have to learn how to drive. if you dont take care of your cars thay will turn to crap. you might think electris are slow, the world fastes car on record is a L3 from associtated. i hope i helped.
  13. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

Hey what car did you end up getting?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.