im new at this

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by Wvamateur, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wvamateur

Wvamateur Member

im just getting started in rc cars. im thinkin of getting a traxxas rustler as my first, and was looking around for hop up parts for it and was looking at differnt electric motors. i was wondering what does 20 turn, 27 turn, 14 turn, etc.. what does it all mean which are faster

thanks in advance
  2. bandit1

bandit1 Member

hey man, ur question is a common asked question and easy to explain and understand.
    the fact is: the lower the number of turns, the more acceleration ull get out of it.for example a 6T(turn) motor will give u a ton of acceleration. the higher the number of turns, the more top end ull get out of it.for example a 27T(turn) motor will give u a lot of top end.
    Remember tho, that the lower the turns u make ur motor, the ESC has to be able to handle it, or ull end up with a burnt up ESC.
    hope i could help, any other questions about this, just ask.
  3. Wvamateur

Wvamateur Member

thanks man, so something like a 17T would be a good motor to replace the stinger 20T
  4. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ya,a 17T would be a good upgrade. Im going with the 13T but ive been around a 20T for so long, i think i can handle a 13T. But if i were starting out and wanted an upgade, something around a 17T is wat i would get. also remember that with the lower amount of turns, the faster ur battery will die, so keep that in mind too.
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

badit is wrong about the motors......the lower # of turns the more power the motor will put out drawing more amps from the battery making your car faster but have less run time.27 turn is the # of turns in a regular stock motor.some newer kits like the Traxas Rustler come with 20 turn.
    you also have the windings of the motor/armature.for exp.17turn single has one winding meaning one wire wraped around the armature 17 times. 17turn double means two wires 17turn triple has three wires an quad has four.the higher the widings also means more power but since there is more wire it is heavier so it is harder for it to spin so you usaly get less punch but more top speed.
    if i were you i would go with the lowest turns of a motor your ESC will allow with a triple widing for maximum fun. an 11 turn triple is an awesome armature.if you would want to go with a single wind motor go with the New D5 flat wire armature.other then them singles suck.
  6. Wvamateur

Wvamateur Member

cool, thanks
  7. timrock is right. the lower # of turns the more RPMs you will get from that motor, but less run time.

less turns=FASTER, less run time

more turns=SLOWER, more run time
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

UltimateStampede shows the basic rule of thumb when it comes to the motors.less t=faster,more t=slower.and of course the faster you want to go the more fuel you are going to need/ use=less run time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.