I'm looking for Northern Pacific reefer...

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
...pics. I got a real pretty NP reefer the other day- couldn't help but love the car- paint scheme. The thing of it is- as much I tried- Elwood's, historical sites- no pics of a weathered, in-service car. The model I have is a silver body, and being a mechanical reefer, I'm sure had its own pattern of showing the wears and tears. Even if it's not th NP- a good pic of a well traveled car posted here would be appreciated.

It seems mechanical reefers aren't too much modeled. At least I never did many. I remember seeing long strings of the Tropicana cars near the Meadowlands in NNJ.

As always- best regards.

Mark

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MCL_RDG said:
...pics. I got a real pretty NP reefer the other day- couldn't help but love the car- paint scheme. The thing of it is- as much I tried- Elwood's, historical sites- no pics of a weathered, in-service car. The model I have is a silver body, and being a mechanical reefer, I'm sure had its own pattern of showing the wears and tears. Even if it's not th NP- a good pic of a well traveled car posted here would be appreciated.

It seems mechanical reefers aren't too much modeled. At least I never did many. I remember seeing long strings of the Tropicana cars near the Meadowlands in NNJ.

As always- best regards.

Mark

I think the reason that you don't see a lot of mechanical reefers modeled is that the railroads switched over to mechanical reefers about the same time as the shippers switched over to trucks for perishable shipping. For whatever reason the railroads have had a difficult time figuring out how to handle perishable commodities in a timely manner to get them to market without spoilage. I saw an episode of "Tracks Ahead" a year or so ago that featured the Tropicana juice trains. They said on that program that the #1 food commodity in the N.Y.C. metropolitan area was orange juice. Tropicana dispatches 3 trains per week to the N.Y.C. area; and, if I remember correctly, 2 trains per week to the Cincinatti area. In contrast they dispatch less that 6 carloads per day on average to the Los Angeles area.