I'm goin in alone on this one

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The request for "givens and druthers" doesn't strike me as a cheeky response unless I just don't have the context of it or there is more in the post that communicates attitude. "Givens and druthers" is a phrase that has taken on meaning after a MR magazine article used it to describe a clearly thought out list of what one wants and is willing to forego in a layout. This list is helpful for planning. Based on the sentence quoted above I think the poster merely wanted to hear more about the guy's interests. As for poor responses from people on another forum I've come to realize that each forum has its audience. Folks that aren't as interested in that kind of crap tend to come here. :)
I have no problem with people letting others know about The Gauge but please be mindful of other forum rules about that and avoid doing it as a way of saying "this forum stinks...try The Gauge in stead!" :) The community of model railroaders online is a small one and we do tend to get to know each other across forums.
Ralph

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Ralph said:
The request for "givens and druthers" doesn't strike me as a cheeky response unless I just don't have the context of it or there is more in the post that communicates attitude. "Givens and druthers" is a phrase that has taken on meaning after a MR magazine article used it to describe a clearly thought out list of what one wants and is willing to forego in a layout. This list is helpful for planning. Based on the sentence quoted above I think the poster merely wanted to hear more about the guy's interests. As for poor responses from people on another forum I've come to realize that each forum has its audience. Folks that aren't as interested in that kind of crap tend to come here. :)
I have no problem with people letting others know about The Gauge but please be mindful of other forum rules about that and avoid doing it as a way of saying "this forum stinks...try The Gauge in stead!" :) The community of model railroaders online is a small one and we do tend to get to know each other across forums.
Ralph

Ralph, you really should think about applying for a job as a forgein realtions diplomat or something...... :D

We're glad you're here. :wave:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well now Chaparral I think the bylaws say it takes a 2/3 majority for a censure but I'll go check. :) Seriously, no problem. You asked a question and I provided some information from my perspective. No crime no foul! In any case, I'm glad you like the way we do things here compared to other forums.
Ralph

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One other thing you might do is go to his User CP on that forum and see if you can send him a private message or an email. That way you tell him about the Gauge privately and you don't give the rest of the rowdys our site, and you don't upset the admins.