I'm Flabergasted!

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
About 8 years ago, I built a custom flat car. I took a stock undec Walthers 54' commonwealth flat. Added steel wheels, Kadee #5's painted it for the NP and built a custom lumber load using Kappler lumber and an old article in MR describing the process. I always liked the car and it traveled many miles on the now long gone Midwest Modelers club in Batavia , Illinois.

I decided to sell the car, along with a few other things on eBay. Since I model 1944, I didn't need a 70's era car.

I posted it for $19.95, not expecting to sell it at that price, but I thought it was a fair one.

IT JUST HIT $77!!! It must be nicer than I thought! I now need a case of theses flat cars and a load of lumber to be in business!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3171116027&category=484&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Hey!!! Another Floridian! Hello from Miami!

Anyway, that is a beautiful car, and rightly so, you should be very proud! With 3 days left, you could even get a little more! Congrat's on your e-bay victory.

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
Hey Miami! How's the weather? Cold here... About 70.

Here's a picture of the car.

NPflat1_1-vi.jpg

Attachments

• np flat1.1.jpg
    np flat1.1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 240

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Raildog,Be not surprise..I seen cars like yours go for $50-60.00 at train shows..My guess is a lot of modelers today lack the time or perhaps the skills needed for such cars..Your price of $19.95 would have been a great deal for a car with a custom load..:D
I know a T/S dealer that sells cars with custom loads so your not to far off with your thinking when you said:I now need a case of theses flat cars and a load of lumber to be in business! Indeed there seems to be a market for cars with custom loads of all types today.

Raildog

Take the money and run .
A friend and I once purchased the remaining stock of a hobby store here that closed. In the process of helping the widow clean up the store we noticed a box under a repair counter in the back of the store and when we pulled it out it turned out to be an old acrylic lighted and rotating Match Box Display. We asked her if we could buy it from her for $50.00 she declined and insisted we get it out of there. A week later I listed it on Ebay at $50.00 and 7 days later it sold for $545.00. We offered to give her the funds but she declined that as well and offered us a well wish for our new store.
Whats the old saying ? " One mans junk is another mans treasure".
Mike
PS. Very Nice Car.

:eek: :eek:

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
Thanks for all the comments, guys. The car sold last night for $77. After receiving feed back from various sources I don't feel so flabbergasted anymore!

I think I AM going to do a little more freight car modeling.

Andrew, it does look like the same type of construction that the article described. I wish I could find it now. I have copies lying around here somewhere.

Thanks again fellas...

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Raildog
I always liked the car and it traveled many miles on the now long gone Midwest Modelers club in Batavia , Illinois.

Were you a part of the club in Batavia? I remember when i was little my dad would take me to the club in South Elgin and Batavia during the open house's in november. I loved going to both those places. Too bad the Batavia one isnt still there.