I'm excited!!!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by spitfire, Feb 24, 2004.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

It's happened at last!!! The first neon signs I designed for Miller Engineering have been released and are up on their website.

This has been a dream project, turning my love of retro design into an actual product that other modellers can use on their layouts. Man it doesn't get any better than this.

If you want to take a look the link is here

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

NICE WORK! :D:D:cool:

Those are great signs. We had two like that here in Ottawa, one was for a theatre, and the other for the original Colonial Furniture. They unfortunately got covered over by a McDonald's and Staples/Business Depot. Luckily though,m they retain their original size and shape, so the possibility of restoration, while unlikely, remains.

Pizza Delite brings back memories of the once ubiquitous restaurant (now found only in the Maritimes), and the Zanzibar is a classic!

Great signs. I am very impressed!

:thumb: :thumb:

3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Val, I am real happy for you, many congraulations indeed. Just took a peek at the website, wow, these are terriffffffffic.
  4. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks Andrew and Paul!!! And there are more to come......
    :D :D :D :D

5. billk

billk Active Member

C-O-O-O-O-O-L !!!!
  6. Climax1880

Climax1880 Member

Hi Val:
    Way to go girl. It's too bad my layout doesn't have any need for neon. It hadn't been invented yet!!!

Good show and all that. Keep on Keepin on.!!

7. pttom

pttom Member

That's awesome Val.
    How long before we see them on your buildings?::thumb:
  8. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Congrats, that looks great !!! I have one of their animated neon signs already, the "OPEN" one. They're very kewl, I might have to consider one of these too.
  9. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Congratulations on your success! Great looking signs.
  10. cpr_paul

cpr_paul Member

Hee hee - is the "Zanzibar" tavern named after the place I'm thinking of Val? :D
  11. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Great news Val.:thumb: :thumb:
  12. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Yep! ;)

Thanks everyone!

13. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That is sooooo coooooool

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Fantabulistic! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :cool: :p ;) :D :) :D ;) :p :cool: :wave: :wave: :wave:

How far back do those types of signs go? Early 50's?
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

When you ask how far back the signs go Jon, are you referring to neon in general, or the big signs that projected out from the fronts of buildings? Here's something I found on the net about neon. It's been around for quite awhile.

The French engineer, chemist, and inventor Georges Claude (1870-1960), was the first to apply an electrical discharge to a sealed tube of neon gas (circa 1902) to create a lamp. He displayed the first neon lamp to the public in 1910 in Paris. In 1923, Georges Claude and his French company Claude Neon, introduced neon gas signs to the United States, by selling two to a Packard car dealership in Los Angeles. Earle C. Anthony purchased the two signs reading "Packard" for $24,000. Neon lighting quickly became a popular fixture in outdoor advertising. Visible even in daylight, people would stop and stare at the first neon signs dubbed "liquid fire."

History Note: Before there were neon signs in America, there were commercial sign tubes that used a carbon dioxide fill. The carbon dioxide signs were made by a man called Moore. Neon gas was discovered by William Ramsey and M. W. Travers in 1898 in London.

Cool, huh?

15. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

That is interesting. Immagine the safety concerns of working with high voltage circuits back then!

I was wondering about that type of sign that you modeled. There were several of those in the small town where I grew up, but I don't think they were neon.
  16. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I think it was someone at The Gauge (was it you jon?) that said:

"We didn't know about safety in those days, so no one got hurt."

17. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

VERY cool Val!

18. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Jon, I think that this type of sign dates from about the 1930's. Here's a cool link to the American Sign Museum for more info.

19. Vic

Vic Active Member

Those are fantastic Val!!!!:thumb:
  20. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I'm glad to see someone make some money at their hobby. Your signs look great. FRED