I'm back.....

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Well we managed to get back home. The Czech Republic was terrific --- everything we remembered and more.

I DO NOT recommend the night train from Prague to Munich. Our sleeping compartment was three bunks stacked along one wall, with about a 6 foot x 2 foot floor space, and very little luggage room --- except the floor. (Something close to submarine accomodations, I suspect...) We did manage to sleep, except for the Czech border guards pounding on our door about midnight to see our passports. Just about back to sleep a half hour later and the German guards were pounding on the door demanding passports.

Munich is as grand as ever, and our first experience of Innsbruck took our breath away. Has to be one of the most beautiful settings in the world. Of course we had a distinct advantage. We were staying with cousins in Patsch, a village about 5 km from and perhaps a couple of thousand feet above Innsbruck. Our guest room had a balcony that looked out at a fantastic view of the Tyrolean Alps across the Inn Valley.

The food everywhere made us into gluttons --- luckily we did a lot of walking, and even some serious hiking, so didn't gain much weight. And the beer. Hadn't been to Europe for six years, and had forgotten how comparitively worthless is the colored water that passes for beer in the US (except for a few micro breweries.)

So --- what have I missed on The Gauge?

BillS

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Austria is just beautiful, isn't it. When I was a kid (moved to US from Denmark 6 years ago) we used to go Austria and Italy for a 2-3 weeks vacation every summer, and my dads favorite place was Kuffstein (at the German / Austrian border), but with trips around the entire Tyrol, so I absolutely loves that area. I have been to Austria probably 10+ times, and I have promised my wife that one fine day we will take a month vacation in Europe and go to Italy, Austria and England (and maybe also stop by Denmark to visit my mom). Never been to Prague though, but have friend who has been there, and they too said it's absolutely beautiful.

Glad you enjoyed the tip.

Jesper

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hey Bill as you can tell from my nickname I've had my share of that good beer.I was born in Belgium and been back a couple of times after coming to the US in 1970. So I'm definately onboard with cracking open a couple of your cold ones. Hope to take the wife to Europe someday.