I'm Back To Where I Started

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
A month before Christmas an experienced layout builder visited my layout and strongly suggested I install a double slip switch in an area that had 4 switches, one after the other.
There was no question that such a move would greatly improve the look and ultimate operation of the layout in this area
I had read the varying opinions about double slips. Even had been told by a long time HO railroader that it was stupid to even consider double slip switches. Went to the DCC site and read how one would need to re-wire a double slip to reduce the problems.

And nothing got done. People came for Christmas parties and the modelers and I talked about double slip switches, I went to season parties and talked about double slip switch issues if modelers were present, and I didn't get anything done.
Finally before New Years I took out the four turnouts and started to re-wire the double slip for DCC. It took about 3 hours. Like a lot of jobs had I known at the beginning what I learned during the job it would have been a piece of cake.

Tonight I installed the double switch, added the extra track feeds, finished the main power bus and got ready for a test. Using a GP30 P2K and two cars I first pushed the cars through the double a low speed. Then two passes at two faster speeds. Everything stayed on track and nothing stopped due to power hole. I think I will do more testing just to make sure its all OK. I need to put a decoder in my 0-6-0 and run it through because it has a little less clearance.

So far I think this is going to be OK, but each time I run a train the ghosts of past comments sit on my shoulder and say - "See We Told You"

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
Hi Ben, I have two Shinohara double slips on my layout, they required zero modification. I have had no trouble with them. Not sure why they have such a bad rep.

Hi Gary, I think that in general they got a bad reputation because people "move up" to them but didn't understand that they were electrically different from an Atlas or other similar turnout with live frogs. I have 26 Shinohora HOn3 turnouts installed already and each one of them works flawlessly:) Wish those one's that Walt has for sale weren't dual gauge....I sure could use them:D

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I have a dobule slip on mine. (Peco) with switch motors and DPDT switches attached to the motors. (both Peco). Took a while to get the wiring correct, but I have no problems with it's running or clearance or speed of traffic. I do, however have a problem with my brain, and that's gettting it switched appropriately for the track I wish the train to take!! Especially switching from "crossover" to "take the slip" mode. DAMN... got the switch wrong again!! **kerthwank** and derail. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
They are difficult to look at and know which route is set. Mine is the Walthers/Shinohara deal. I used slow motion motors to throw mine. One for each throw bar. The two switch handles indicate the route set. I use the up position for straight and the down position for diverging. What complicates the issue when looking at the points is that the points that determine which route is set to enter the switch are the points at the far end of the switch. The points at the near end determine the outbound route. Takes some getting used to. But wiring was the easiest of all my turnouts. I soldered a lead to each of the two outside rails. That's it. No other gaps or feeders. I've had zero problems with shorts or dead spots.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil
What complicates the issue when looking at the points is that the points that determine which route is set to enter the switch are the points at the far end of the switch. The points at the near end determine the outbound route. Takes some getting used to.

Exactly Gary. And I still ain't used to it. (I still have to sit there and think).

My double slip is at the centre of the yards. bottom left track leads from/to the mainline (and is insulated with BOTH rails using insulated joiners). I power the entire yard from the two main connector wires to the middle of the double slip. The top left track track goes off to three loco sidings. the two right tracks go off to three train sidings. I use electro frog turnouts for the siding entrances on both sides. DPDT switches are on the turnout motors of the double slip to correctly power the frogs. This then powers the sidings, and then the electrofrog turnouts power the appropriate siding on either side. I end up with the "from and to" sidings powered and all the others are dead. Make the appropriate switch, which powers the appropriate siding, and kills the others, so I can leave locos there, and it only runs the one I want. The entire sidings are powered from a separate controller.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Woodie, Can you use one of the aux. switches mounted to the turnout to power a lamp or led to indicate the route set? Install a lamp on each of the four tracks diverging from the double slip on the control panel, drive them with those aux switches. You'll see the route clearly then.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
On the club layout, the "routing" problem was solved by posting a "coming from/going to" which calls out the toggle switch positions for the route. So far this seems to be working as there hasn't been any serious problems getting through the double slip.
Pete