I'm Back (From Strasburg)

RobertInOntario

My family and I just returned this evening after having an excellent time away in Strasburg, PA.

The railroad attractions -- especially the Strasburg Railroad -- and the entire area are awesome. I'll try to post some pix in the near future on "The Real Thing -- USA".

I'd like to thank so many Gauge members, especially N Gauger and 60103, for giving us such helpful advice for this trip.

Cheers,
Rob

slekjr

Dear Rob
We're glad you enjoyed your visit will look forward to the photographs.
Pennsylvania has a lot of railroad history, and a lot of spots to see. They also have some excelent camp grounds. Our family used to camp near Altoona every year. Mary spent the Day at the camp enjoying time with our daughter and I would take the 3 boys and spend the day at the curve watching trains.
Charlie

RobertInOntario

Dear Rob
We're glad you enjoyed your visit will look forward to the photographs.
Pennsylvania has a lot of railroad history, and a lot of spots to see. They also have some excelent camp grounds. Our family used to camp near Altoona every year. Mary spent the Day at the camp enjoying time with our daughter and I would take the 3 boys and spend the day at the curve watching trains.
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. Yes, there are several good attractions there. On the way back, we even stopped in at Scranton, PA. Although it was closed at the time, my sons and I were able to look at the locos standing outside.

Rob

Pooh Bah
Rob: glad you enjoyed it. Did you manage to cram everything into 6 days? I bet there's enough things you missed (like seeing Steamtown open) to go again next year.
I certainly can't think of any place where you can see so much mainly railway stuff without having to change hotels. Philadephia is only a day trip away, but Altoona is halfway across the state. Baltimore and Washington are also day trips, but inconvenient in terms of highways.

RobertInOntario

Rob: glad you enjoyed it. Did you manage to cram everything into 6 days? I bet there's enough things you missed (like seeing Steamtown open) to go again next year.
I certainly can't think of any place where you can see so much mainly railway stuff without having to change hotels. Philadephia is only a day trip away, but Altoona is halfway across the state. Baltimore and Washington are also day trips, but inconvenient in terms of highways.

Thanks, David -- especially for all of your feedback that helped us to plan this trip.

I was really glad we chose Strasburg, PA over other areas. Strasburg is such a picturesque setting that it makes for an ideal family holiday. The area is extremely clean & attractive, not to mention having some 5 (or more?) railroad attractions all in one spot!

As you say, it's great visiting so many RR sites without having to drive from city to city. And these attractions are all practically in a rural area, which adds even more to the charm and convenience!

I'll try to post those pics on the weekend.

Take care,
Rob

RobertInOntario

Rob: glad you enjoyed it. Did you manage to cram everything into 6 days? I bet there's enough things you missed (like seeing Steamtown open) to go again next year....

Yes, we did, although we still want to go back!

We were away for 10 days in total -- 2 days to drive there (terrible traffic in Ont. on the way down ... it took us 7-8 hours just to get into NY State!) and 2 to return. That left us 6 days.

We left out 1-2 amusement parks (too busy and not really our thing). I think 6 days is ample time to see the main Strasburg sites without rushing.

Rob

L

lester perry

I was there from 7-6 to 7-10 myself. But I live considerably closer than you and go a couple times a year. It is a nice area I lived there for 5 years many many many years ago ,before the outlets. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Les

RobertInOntario

I was there from 7-6 to 7-10 myself. But I live considerably closer than you and go a couple times a year. It is a nice area I lived there for 5 years many many many years ago ,before the outlets. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
Les

Thanks, Les. I enjoyed all of the RR sites especially the Strasburg RR -- it's so well and tastefully done.

I've been trying to upload pics but apparently the attachments method isn't working at the moment :cry::sad:... but maybe I'll try again later.

Rob