I'm a little mixed up

SmolderZ

Below you see the plan for my main module. I'm trying to keep things as compact as possible. The legend:

Cyan = Arrival and departure tracks
Purple = Caboose track
Blue = Repair in place track (poorly visible but it's at the left of the caboose track)
Green = Run around
Red = Yard

The main line goes arround everything and stays untouched. What I would like to ask is if you can see any problems? For instance, I have to occupy the main line to get a string of cars from the arrival tracks into the yard. And what about the locations of the RIP track and caboose track?

Please help :(

Attachments

• layoutdesign01.JPG
    layoutdesign01.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 356

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Tying up the main is not un-prototypical, and can add operational challenge to the layout, so it is not necessarily a bad thing...

Three suggestions some to mind at first glance -

1. The turnout at the far left end where the main splits to the arrival/departure tracks - could be smoothed out with a left-hand turnout located on the bend. As you have it, there are several "s" in a row

2. The curved track leading to the turntable looks like a tight radius. If you move the TT to the left, you might be able to stretch it out a bit.

3. At the end of one of the yard tracks (maybe the longest one) you might consider an escape so that the loco can go in first... The runaround seems short to get to the end of a string of cars before pushing them into the yard.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Are you building the module to run in a modular club? If so, will it be a dcc layout? I ask because in a modular club situation running on dc, tying up the main line can be a big problem. If you are running in a club, you could bring the yard lead in on the inside of the module.

tillsbury

Yes, you don't have a yard lead, really. As Russ says, on Ntrak that would be a big issue. Even so, you might want to at least extend the yard lead (such as it is) between the main and the junction between the A/D and yard ladder, so that you can at least shuffle a few cars in and out without completely stuffing the main.

And I also agree with MasonJar that it would be worth having a longer runaround (or as he suggests, another escape which effectively makes a long runaround). And shove the turntable to the left.

Otherwise I really like the amount of action and believable yard on such a small space... I'm getting very tempted to build a tiny switching layout myself so that I can (1) work in the study when I can't be bothered to go to the layout room proper and (2) maybe even hand-lay it...

Charles

seanm

I think others have said this already.. but here goes.

If you have room, the green run around could be extended all the way to the first switch on the left. This would allow the arriving crews from the west to pull into an arrival track, detach from the train, head a little further east and enter the engine service area with out messing with the work fof the switcher.

There is also no yard lead that will allow the switcher to work a string of cars with out pulling out onto the main... that could be a problem. You would need to add this to the left hand first yard switch facing it the other way and then the yard lead could paralell the mail to the east.

SmolderZ

Thanks for all the feedback! I tried to pay attention to every comment but it's really hard. This is the new legend:

Purple = Caboose track
Purple = Yard lead
Blue = Repair in place track
Green = Run around
Red = Yard

I tried to add a yard lead and I "think" it works this way. It's also colored in purple (I ran out of colors :))

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• layoutdesign02.GIF
    layoutdesign02.GIF
    10.2 KB · Views: 314

seanm

Much better!!!! I like this!

The only thing is to make sure the yard lead at the right can handle the largest cut of cars you want to work with. Looks sort of short, but it may be OK.

Another thought might be to put a sneak out at the end of the longest classification track so a head in crew could drop the cars and cross to the next track to back out.... but that may not be necessary for your operation. A good option though.

Now if you would make the diverging route of the two main turnouts (east and west) be to the yard and the strait leg be the main it would smooth the mainlines traffic a bit.... but that is just icing on the cake.

train1

I would lengthen the new yard lead (drill track) by moving the last switch (on top left)on the new design conneting the lead to the mainline - back to it's original position in the first drawing. But leave the new yard lead. That way the switcher can go all the way down the yard lead and still be clear of the switch to the yard. Thus allowing mainline traffic into the yard to drop off and use the lead as temporary staging.

The yard (drill track) lead should be able to accomodate accomodate an engine - and the total amount of cars from your longest yard spur.

Experts correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Alan B

Your RIP track doesn't really have enough space for repair crews to get to the damaged equiprment. There's no space to unload any cargo other than an end ramp. For a more realistic depiction, I'd cut one track completely, and extend the other with at least a short loading dock.

Is that a grain elevator between the roundhouse and yard? If so, you'll end up losing one yard track just to service the elevator during harvest/shipping season.

SmolderZ

Thanks for all the feedback again! :)

I haven't told you guys everything. This is a Z-scale layout. The table is 250cm long (98,4 inch). I do want to run DCC on it. It's not for a club.

I think the new yard lead (drill track) is ok. I would like to keep it that way.
The caboose track on the right is able to hold up to 5 cabooses, that should be enough. I'm only questioning if it's well placed.

Alan B, good comments. The RIP track really didn't have enough space so I addapted it a bit. Now the first track can hold 2 cars and the second track can hold 1 car next to the loading dock.

Yes, that is a grain elevator between the roundhouse and yard. And I would lose 1 yard track indeed! I didn't see that. I changed the position of the switch that leads to the grain elevator. Now I can push 3 cars into the grain elevator section without touching the yard. I also extended the track through the grain elevator so I can push 2 cars trough it before the switcher has to back up.

I adapted the legend a little bit.

Yellow = Caboose track
Purple = Yard lead
Green = Run around
Red = Yard

Attachments

• layoutdesign03.GIF
    layoutdesign03.GIF
    5.8 KB · Views: 270

SmolderZ

It has been a while now, does no feedback mean good feedback? :) Please, anybody, say the trackplan is good so I can start building it. :wave:

seanm

Use the force Luke...uh....SmolderZ

I think most who want to comment have. Looks good... only I would still like to see the strait leg of the outermost turnouts be for the main line and the diverging track the yard.

I would still like to see the strait leg of the outermost turnouts be for the main line and the diverging track the yard.

I agree. Try to keep the main line going straight through the turnouts, otherwise you'll have some serious (15 mph or so) speed restrictions through those turnouts. Otherwise, the plan looks like a winner.

Eric

SmolderZ

I think I got it! The outermost turnouts have their straight legs for the main line now. I also replaced the caboose track, it's between the yard and RIP track now.

What do you think?

Yellow = Caboose track
Purple = Yard lead
Green = Run around
Red = Yard

Attachments

• trackdesign04.GIF
    trackdesign04.GIF
    7 KB · Views: 189

tillsbury

SmolderZ said:
I think I got it! The outermost turnouts have their straight legs for the main line now. I also replaced the caboose track, it's between the yard and RIP track now.

The only thing I'd say now is that the yard lead has gone wobbly -- and as this is the main track you're going to be pulling and pushing stacks of cars around it would be nice to avoid too much s-bending. But do you see where the yard lead humps up at the left of your drawing? Just drop that hump down one line -- i.e. make the exit from the main slightly earlier, and swap the turnout leading to the cyan line so it moves 'up'. Then the yard lead will only have two bends in it...

Charles

SmolderZ

Good one Charles, I didn't thought of that yet. The first AD track became a bit shorter but that's not a major issue. It created a good space for a switch tower.

I think I got the final version! What do you guys think? :D

Yellow = Caboose track
Purple = Yard lead
Green = Run around
Red = Yard

Attachments

• layoutdesign05.GIF
    layoutdesign05.GIF
    5.4 KB · Views: 91

tillsbury

SmolderZ said:
I think I got the final version! What do you guys think? :D
Final version? Of a trackplan? Well there's a first....
smile.gif

But all the main tracks look nice and smooth. I can't help noticing there's still space at the front in the middle -- maybe a switchback there if you think you don't have enough track in the space...
wave.gif

Charles

SmolderZ

Hehe that's true, but I'm glad the main tracks look good and I can lay them down this way. Everything arround it might change a little.

A big thanks to all the people who helped me! :D