Ilumination

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
Another tec question.

I want to put some ilumination to my layout. But i have the celing to high.. what kind of ilumination should I have?

My layout is in a corner of my bedroom. My ceiling is 2,60m high.

Attachments

• 18julho2002 051.jpg
    18julho2002 051.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 188

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Luis, if you require taking photographs at a later date, I would suggest Flourescent Daylight Tubes above the railroad. Looking at your baseboards, I would place one at around 4' - 6" above it.
This would give ample lighting for any photo's later on.
These tubes are 58 watt Phillips TLD 58W is what I use.

Shamus

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
For Luis and Shamus

Hi Luis and Shamus...Just in case Luis may not want to hang a florescent fixture in the corner of the bed room I was just wondering if a dual halogen flood light fixture that he could put up and take down as needed for making photos would work. My question Shamus is......are the Halogen floods "photo friendly" or would they require special filters. I used to have a set of photo floods but somehow they got away. Seem to recall though that they put out light just about like halogens. Just wondering?? :confused:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I use those 3 light 12 V halogen globe track light on the ceiling. Each light is in a swivel base, so you can point it in the appropriate direction. They're fine for photos, as all the photos I post, and on Garahbara's webapge were taken using those lights. I've got them on a dimmer too.

JeffGerow

Feb 13, 2001
Winthrop, MA, USA
Visit site
I, too, recommend track lighting for this situation -- Even quartz bulbs at 120VAC would give a great light. Be forewarned, however, that virtually all of the offered options will have some effect on photos taken.

-Daylight florescents have quite a green "spike", and may require some magenta filtering (there are now florescents with correct color temperatures that are used in TV studios and film making -- but these are not the kinds you'll find at Home Depot, and cost about 3x "normal")

-Quartz bulbs (high or low voltage) while "brighter and hotter" than "normal" incandescent bulbs are generally still not 3200¡K, the color balance point for "indoor" film, and will "warm" the color balance.

Your best bet for photography then, is to use actual photo lights and film that is matched (either daylight (approx 5600¡K) or photoflood (3200¡K)).

However, in between photo shoots, my track light lit layout looks great with sharp shadows (with consistent "sun angle") and bright illumination.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Jeff, I agree with you on the track lights in fact that is what I have but am just using ordinary incadescent floods at the present time. Also have daylight tubes in the ceiling which I use every day. Only turn on the tracks when I want to "show off" :D :D :D

Appreciate you input and I was just looking for a little bit more natural and brighter light for the track lights. :) :) Since I use a digital camera, Sony MC 75...which has a mind of its own:D :D I don't really have to worry about matching the light and film balance. Think I'll try a few halogens just to see what happens and if the results are worth while I'll post a pic or two here.