I'll be buying a printer...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by gian7675, Mar 11, 2008.

1. gian7675

gian7675 Member

I'm currently saving for a new printer. Can somebody help me pick a nice one? cgutzmer already suggested a printer but I want to ask the whole cardmodels.net members for an opinion :thumb:

My requirements are:

- easy maintenance
    - cheap reloads of color inks
    - must not go above $350 or cheaper of course!. I could go to $400 flat but $350 is really my limit.:cool:
    - since A3 paper printing is very limited to very few printers, A3 paper printing is no longer a requirement but it'll be heaven for me if the printer that you'll suggest can do it.

Not anymore a major requirement but it's a plus
    - Printer Scaling option is a feature
    However, some card modelers say that re-scaling thru printer "scaling" option does not work always. Most of the card models that I want enlarged needs to be upscaled by 200%! :eek: Any suggestions as to how to overcome this if printer scaling is present in your suggested printer?

Suggestions on my future printer will be welcomed!

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

HP Laser printers are getting cheaper as months go by. A $350 printer now goes for $190. Yes laser ink cartridges are unholy expensive but if you want quality then your going to pay for it with cartridge averaging $100 for each Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.

I think your putting too much stress on printers for scaling when it's a software issue.

The need for A3 size (11.7" × 16.5") is going to kill any chance of buying the average printer which prints A4 size and smaller (8.3" × 11.7").

Your choices are limiting but interesting.
  3. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

You have opened one of the biggest points of disagreement in the paper model world. I too have been looking for about the same thing and this is the answer.

Epson® Stylus® 1400 Photo Printer

It is the only answer to your question. Staples has it for $250 after rebate next week.

Many condemn Epson for problems with ink stoppage. I condemn all inkjets for that. At least with my Epson I have solved the problem. My old 82 purchased for 29$ is still chugging out great prints. Just have to know how to treat it.

As for enlarging, that is dependent on software and none of us can help you there. Each type of image offers unique problems and must be solved independently of other images. Keep reading and experimenting.

John McP
  4. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the reply :wave:

jdmcomp; n810@

So the answer is Epson Stylus 1400 Photo Printer eh? It prints on A3 paper eh? How about the scaling option? Does it have it too?

The printing on A3 paper is already an ok for me...I just hope it has that percentage scaling feature too :mrgreen:

Ok. let's say Let's leave out the "printing on A3 paper is a must" on my requirement. What other printers could you guys recommend?

I'll revise my first post and open suggestions for the A4 and ordinary size paper printing option. I guess I just have to re-scale the models thru software...sigh!
  5. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

Paper 13X19 is the largest size, don't know the size in inches of A3 but it appears that it is larger. However, you did drop A3 as a requirement. Best thing to do is to download and install the drivers for the printer and see just what they will do. No cost, just go to the manufactors site and download. I have done this to evaluate several printers.

Just what file types are you trying to resize? Keep in mind that many if not all paper models are made for a specific weight paper and resizing can cause problems with allowances for thickness. Been there done that.

As for what is available in your country, few of us would know. I suspect most if not all printers in circulation are sold worldwide, but rarely are US printers capable of metric paper printing in larger sizes.

I did purchase the 1400 today but have not opened the box yet. It is a large printer and I have to find space for it. Good luck in your search.
  6. gian7675

gian7675 Member

I think .pdf files. And in a future project, I'll be scanning a 1/400 JCS model and then re-size it to 1/200. Probably .jpeg too? I really have no idea of what files I'll be re-sizing and how to do it. That's why I want a printer scale option to be present :oops:
  7. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've always gotten good results from my Epson inkjets, even with aftermarket ink cartridges.
  8. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

After unpacking the printer the paper tray is marked A3 so you are in business.
  9. jagolden

jagolden Guest

I'll third Johns suggestion. I won't buy anything but an Epson. I started with a Photo 700 years ago (11" x 17" max) then on to a 1280 (13" x 19") now use a Epson Stylus Photo 2200.

Epsons tend to be a little more expensive than Canon or HP but my experience has only ever been tops with them.

As to the scaling, I suggest doing it in a software program. Allows more control over any splits when a single part does not fit on one sheet and paper can be saved by ganging up odd model pieces after you've enlarged them.

Many larger format printers can be fitted with outside ink tanks that lower the ink costs dramatically. Search online for "Continuous Ink Supplies".

A lot comes down to your preference and budget. There are printers that will print a large sheet (13"x 19") from Epson, HP and Canon and the prints I have seen from each are stunning.

Good luck on your search.
  10. F131

F131 Member

Anything Canon, with the individual color ink tanks. I've had mine for 3 years and the prints are fantastic.
  11. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

EXACTLY! Just as F131 says. Go for a Canon Printer, (Mine is xCanon Pixma ip 1600 ^.^) Plus, the price ink, in a pair, would be 40 dollars! One ink cartridge for the Canon printer only costs about $20.

Plus, I'm not sure how much you can get one for, but I got mine for $60 :D Even better!
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Get an Epson stylus 1400. Then when the original inks that come with the printer run out, try and buy a continous ink tank.
  13. Alcides

Alcides Member

The top quality printer are the inkjets, no the laser ones. The inkjet printer has better color accuracy and resolution . The laser printer are oriented to office related stuff and a lot of copies.

I can recommend any epson with 4 or more cartridges. The ink is cheaper and I have an epson for 3 years without a problem.

14. astrospud

astrospud Member

Continuous ink supply solutions

I hope I am not contravening the AUP of Zealot, but if you do a lot of printing and want to save money on ink, then I highly recommend you look into CISS, or Continuous Inking Supply Systems. I bought one 3 months ago, and I will hope I will never have to buy another printer cartridge again! I have printed out dozens of full color documents and even a couple of photos, and I am blown away with the quality.
    I have a Canon MP830. Here's my setup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This system supports only newer printers, say from the initial "I" series Canons onward, and their Epson and HP counterparts.
    It's fiddly and precise in the setup, but we're card modellers. We're used to it!
    I recomend you take a look. :)
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I found my Epson 3810 (old I know) extremely repairable. The Ink printer assembly comes apart easy for cleaning (even though they don't recommend it) and thie place has ink cartridg3es for $6 bucks a pop. I buy the $40 dollar package and get 6 color (ea.) and 4 black for that price.

Printer Ink, Laser Toner, Printer Inkjet Cartridges - LdProducts
  16. BARX2

BARX2 Member

My 3810 has been giving me fits lately. I have to clean the heads before I print anything - and often I have to clean them two or three times. The problem is always with the black. Can you tell me where to get started with taking the print head assembly apart for cleaning - or point me to a reference on the web? I'm willing to give it a try before I toss the printer. I've had it for about a year and been using LD ink cartridges. I have not been too happy with the black cartridges.