IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Cing film has a lot going for it, another thing it can be used for is making sea scapes. Paint the wood the colours you want and the wrinkle some cling film and glue it to the wood. After this paint the tips of the film sticking up with wave crests. It will also give it a deep glass look. try it on a bit of scrap first, but it does work

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao general viewa

Hi

It was a beautiful day here today so I tried for a few photos, the model in real life is better than the photo's show Roman captured my favourite "cluttered cruiser" to perfection, if it got any better my fingers couldn't cope with it. Perfect it ain't. but it has given me a great amount of pleasure.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

There is nothing wrong with the ship, It gives us all something to aim for.
The photos are great, as the models is.

Keep at it and keep posting the pics please.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry, you've made me a happy man this Sunday afternoon!! :lol:
She looks superb!!
Thanks for all the photos!!!!! :D
I hope to get working on a larger scale ship as a future project, hopefully in a month or two after finishing the other half done projects, and if it looks a third as nice as yours it will be a miracle!
Not sure I still understand the problems you were having with the masts, but that's just me; if you can re-explain what you did to get them to look so great that would be appreciated. I have to admit I have not had to tackle any extensive masting of the sizes you dealt with on this beauty, so if I can pick your brain, well, thanks!! :wink:
Looking forward for some closeup shots if possible...greedy little bugger, ain't I? :lol:
Jim

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Re: Takao general views continued

barry said:
more photos for the junkies
*whistles innocently*

I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. ;) Takao looks marvelous, Barry! Rob's right, you should be very proud. Thanks for sharing even more pictures with us junkies. :lol:

A.J.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao bits and pieces

Hi

I was playing about with thr "sea" around Takao today just literally sloshing poster paint about blue wash first and then some green added when not quite dry it's remarkably acceptable for a first try. Rob I couldn't get the cling film right this time it looked effectively like varnish but this time it will have to be varnished.

Jim the problem with the mast was basically building it with plastic rod 0.1" thick it wobbled every which way, so I had to add some of the crosspieces with the same material which is over scale but it strengthened it very well. The cross struts should have been all cotton so I added a few bits in, trouble is getting them tight enough and mine actully sag a bit. Because I did not build a jig for the mast it is slightly out of square and if I put the the second spar on the back legs of the mast it showed the error so I cheated and added to the front leg again not to scale but it gives the right impression. I should have used super glue to stick the threads but I didn't have any to hand, however I shall buy a tube when it comes to the rest of the rigging and hope I don't stick to the ship. I think I will practice on an old one first "Admiable" needs a new mast anyway.

I added the anchors and the chain locker guides last night, you can just see them in the blown up photo. Anyway Gil very kindly wrote how to handle super glue the other week so I will devise something with a busted needle I will have to file the eye out (no dremel drill in my meagre tool kit).

I thought a lot about making waves and wakes in the sea but the thing I find lacking is that Takao would have won no prises for being green, she chucked oily black smoke by the bucketful when running at any speed so I thought I would just moor her to a buoy in a flat calm sea.

barry

tino

Mar 17, 2004
Ponte de Lima Portugal
Hi Barry,

Your ship is getting great, but there is one thing that I sill don't know.
Who is the publisher os this model?

Thanks for share your build with us.

Diamantino :p

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D
hi Barry

Good photos.

It will be intresting to see how you do this, as there are that meany ideas out there as to how to do it.
Keep us upto date with this please

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Re: Takao jackstaffs

Neat job with the sea, Barry! It looks like it's going to make a splendid display piece. :D

barry said:
Tak now has it's masts and jackstaffs can't put the rigging off much longer I suppose

Best of luck with the rigging!

A.J.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao rigging

Rigging not my best subject, only had some fuse wire couldn't straighten it much over and inch no use, try black cotton masts have no strength looks like setting the yards on Cutty Sark.

In the end I straightened a short length of fuse wire and used it as a strut from the top of the main mast to the spar, and again to the short flag boom, that gave some strength and something to grip. I ran a length of wire between the tops of main and lattice masts that held them firm enough used some more wire to strengthen the lattice. I then rigged the ship using black cotton and fiddled about with the tension used UHU glue to hold it in place, then took the wire off the top of the masts. Seems to have worked reasonably well so far couldn't do anymore I was going cross eyed.

Tried Scorpio's method got lots of interesting shapes but no rigging tried my old trick of UHU strings could n't do that either. So there you have it a non experts rough guide to rigging.

I will have another go tomorrow (I think)

barry

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Barry

Looks great to me.

With fuse wire you have to make it quite clear to the wire who's the boss.
Take a good length, put one end in a vice and hold the other in pliers (or hold it that firmly in some other way).
Pull hard and run your finger nail (or smooth edged bit of plastic if you still bite your finger nails :D ) too and fro along it making an angle of say 150 deg or less (180 is when it's straight). You will in fact be stretching and work hardening the wire and it will give in and stay straight. Don't be too gentle - it's tough stuff.

Cheers
Maurice

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao rigging

Maurice if you say it's good I accept that as the highest accolade.

I remembered to run a plastic edge down it I forgot to put it under tension :eek:ops: :eek:ops: thanks for the reminder. In a way I'm glad 'cos I really wanted to do it with thread. Necessity being the mother of invention. All I've got do now is haul that b****y front spar straight.

Glad your still there, I have missed your biting wit.

barry

Status
Not open for further replies.