IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:?:
Try using fishing line, it comes in sizes from just a few microns upto 2-3mm. If you find that the size you need is not around pick the next best and stretch it between to nails on a board and apply a little heat and pull it to the size required. It will glue together with CA (super glue). It does not have the wave effect of wire and can be wipped clean without bowing like cotton.

Hpoe this helps

Rob

philippe

Feb 27, 2004
bretagne france
i use for rigging "sprue", like plastic modelers, it's easy to make thread with the diameter that you want, but be carefull with the glue. using ca glue is " a prioiri" a good way but after some years i have some difficults ,
some shut down, with hard repairs..
i thing (despite my youth) thats better to use classic glues with ultrafine natural thread, like linen or coton thread.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Phillipe

What a good tip they say there non so blind as those who do not look. I read your suggestion and right in front of me were my wife's dried "giant allium" perfectly straight flower stems at up to 5" long.

Scorpio

I am still wondering about rigging myself, if you meant the mast stays in the photo above they are 0.01" plastic sprue glued with "UHU"

I was playing tonight putting a small blob of UHU on one finger sticking a finger of the other hand on it and pulling a thread if you hold it vertically it makes a great thin thread I can't remember how I used to store them though.

See you made the front page again on modalartz that picture is impossibly real if it was cut off at the waterline I would have thought it a photo of Bismark leaving the builders yard.

Pozdrawiam mate !!!!!!!!!

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Regards soldering !

As far as I know you live down in Brighton, (I lived in Hove for a year back in 82) This is the phone number for a shop when I was stationed in portsmouth, I used to get all my soldering gear from them. What they don't know is not worth knowing.

BREWSTERS Ltd
19 Frankfort Gate, Plymouth, PL1 !qd.
Tel/Fax: 01752 665011
They do send stuff out by post.

Yes I know it's in plymouth, but its cheaper to buy of them through the post than go to a local shop as they get the gear of them! Just tell them what you want to do and they can sort it.

Hope this helps

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Barry

When looking for the basic stuff, blades ect. Try your local pound shops. This is where I get most of my blades, PVA, Super glue and card/paper from. Also look at the other items they have as the uses they can be put to is amazing. The local shop I use is Pound Strecher. In My local Shop you can get 25 tubes of super glue for a pound.
Have a look

Regards

Robl

JRSeese

Feb 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
I wish I had a chemist in my neighborhood. It would be nice to have a ready source of formaldehyde, hydrochloric acid...

I am adding to my dream - not only do I wish I were fluent in Polish, I also wish I lived in the UK (Actually I have felt that way for some time, for some reason... )

Sprue - This is the plastic framework for model kit pieces, right? You're not making plastic models on us are you?

I would be interested in more information on how to manipulate and use this material

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao stern

Hi

Put up a quick photo of the stern end of Takao.(sorry about the quality)

JR come on over we've got room for one more from the colonies, but do not ask a chemist for hydrochloric acid they would probably call the police, even with your sense of humour and somedays the UK could do with some of that. By the way a Chemist is a sort of UK drugstore in your language but somewhere in Brighton you would probably find just about anything.

Yes you are right sprue is plastic, pity I didn't get Phillipes tip before I did it or Rob's helpful soldering advice, but then needs must some things you just can't do in cardboard, but I still think it sticks out like a sore thumb got to do something.

I really want to try and build in card some 1/250 companion ladders any ideas anyone.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Steam Pipes, caps and search lights

Hi

The bits to be added get smaller just in case you can't see the difference the after funnel cap is on and the forward, port and starbord seach lights are added plus the first of the funnel steampipes.

You would not believe I coloured the funnel caps black about 3 times !!

Barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
winches

Hi

The point of this picture is I used Scorpio's method of tube rolling on the winch barrels, it really works. My way runs, lick finger use it to dampen the back of the part to be rolled wait 30 secs and roll it round a mandrel. Wait another 30 secs run glue accross both surfaces stick and roll again result a much better tube than I have ever done before.(Pity the ends are not vertical)

Hint 2

When building the seaplanes Roman indicates where to make small holes in the wings and fuselage to locate the wire/plastic struts, when I built the first seaplane I just used the dots as markers and stuck it all together . It looked fine at the time but I forgot cardboard has weight and the tail gently sagged down onto the float. The one I did properly is fine. Never mind it's cardboard and it's on disk have another go.

I was going to show the lights and sailing lights but realised at the last minute I had crossed over port and starboard

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry:
I saw your photos posted to your album, and that is a very fine fleet, Sir!
BTW, is the Takao done? I for one would love to see more closeup shots of all that work you've labored over the last few weeks...actually, I'm just being selfish and want to see more... period.... :)
Please favor us with more photos if you can.
What's your next project? :lol:
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takoa masts and bits

Hi

Thanks for the comments.

My attempt at a mast is ok if you do not get too close I think. Still got to make 2 small winches and a couple of vantilators. The mast needs a coat of gray paint and there is a lot of touching up to do, and of course the rigging worries me I'm clumsy with cotton.

I dare not try to cut her off the lump of wood so I shall try and make some attempt at sea. I cut a piece of heavy cardboard to butt up to the hull I will try painting and varnishing that at least I can do that off the model.(and have several try's at it)

Jim

I started on the hull of HMS Savage when my fingers would not work on the fiddly bits.

If you llok hard at the photograph you can just about make the ships lights.

Barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Great work Jims not the only one who would like to see more pics of your work.

Quick tip, if your doing a water line model. Before you start, get some cling film and stick this to the wood. Then place the model on this. It comes away with out the need to cut the model and then the plastic can be peeled of later. Hope this helps
Regards

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.