IJN Takao

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Crane platform

I think this should be labelled junkies only, it took about 2 hours to build this and another half hour to get it to fit without wrecking the tripod.

If any one has built this ship before can you tell me if there is a card part for the crane boom or is it made from scrap cocktail stick.

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Takao's looking great, Barry! Thanks for the updates and all the wonderful pictures!

AJ

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao Main mast

A few more bits crane boom stowage housings and crane sheave platform.

I found a new tool last night a Diabetic lancet produces a really sharp fine hole and is useful for transferring fold lines on to the reverse side of the card, shows clearly on the back and is almost invisible on the front. Do remember to put the cap back on (another useful bit) 'cos otherwise you will give yourself a quick bloodtest.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Not sure what happened, but I posted a reply and it did not show up.
Anyway, Barry, I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your updates. I check this web page almost every night, between getting the little one down for the night and trying to finish up work, and always find your postings with updated photos, as well as the other extraordinary modelers on this site, must refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable!
Thanks for taking the time to share with us your work, as well as those neat little tips and tricks that come up from time to time.
I can only hope when I tackle a ship of this magnatude and scale it comes out one third as nice as yours is...though I would be more than lucky if it did. :D
She's coming out so very well, Barry!!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Thank you all for the comments.

Jim

The biggest tip of all "buy a good model" from a mastercraftsman like Roman it looks good because he is excellent, Phillipe says the same thing. You take your time just as in wooden models, the great thing is it is so cheap to screw up a bit of cardboard.

Maybe one night we will persuade Scorpio to show us his test bits I know he's got some somewhere !

I would like to rebuild Takao to get all the edges lined up properly and one day I shall.

The best top class trial I still say is Roman's free minesweeper, it brought me back into this wonderful hobby after 30 years.

Barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Thank you all for the comments.

Jim

The biggest tip of all "buy a good model" from a mastercraftsman like Roman it looks good because he is excellent, Phillipe says the same thing. You take your time just as in wooden models, the great thing is it is so cheap to screw up a bit of cardboard.

Maybe one night we will persuade Scorpio to show us his test bits I know he's got some somewhere !

I would like to rebuild Takao to get all the edges lined up properly and one day I shall.

The best top class trial I still say is Roman's free minesweeper, it brought me back into this wonderful hobby after 30 years.

Barry

ps I got my copy of HMS Savage today just going to load it up and look
Use up the packaging save the planet

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Funnel platforms etc

Hi

Finally put the Funnel platforms in tonight, they hold the really springy mast support structure in place. It needed to set quickly so I reverted to UHU applied to both surfaces. I'm still amazed when the last bits slot into place as designed.

The strengthening struts round X and Y turret took ages, but my brain finally came on, with the previous ones I sat like an idiot folding minute triangles. This time I stuck the strips back to back and just cut the damn things out, so much easier.

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Re: Funnel platforms etc

barry said:
The strengthening struts round X and Y turret took ages

But it was worth it though! :D I like the way they really accent the turrets. It's those small pieces like that can really make an impact in adding that something extra to a model.

A.J.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao foremast

I need some help here please the mast should really be construced from 0.5 mm wire.

I do not have a soldering iron anymore and I was never that good with one.

The question is what type should I buy for this sort of work please?

Is there some form of metal to metal glue which would work.

For once the photograph is a bit flattering. I am bothered the thin guage plastic I am using will not take the strain of rigging.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

I guess this a case of Floppy mast solid deck.

barry

Damn I just noticed the drunken range finder I must as Scorpio how he doesn't knock bits off Bismark all the time

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Barry,
You don't necessarily need to use solder, and it would be a bit difficult to do because you really need to get the angles right, and the work has to be done off the model (imagine if you will a hot wire touching your beautiful PAPER decking, or solder falling to that PAPER deck!).
Have you considered using bamboo skewers? Once painted and/or coated with paper they look pretty convincing. And they are pretty sturdy for any sort of rigging you might want to use. You can also use smaller birch dowels or toothpicks for the smaller stuff, also pretty sturdy. And if you opt us use pieces of wire as well, they all glue up fairly well with white glue (Elmer's Glue-All type).
If you insist on using metal, such as brass, you can epoxy it together at the joint. I have not used super glue for such a joint and would not be happy with it unless I tied it together with fine wire or thread first and then soaked it in super glue.
Just some random thoughts... :)
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Thanks Jim

I would rather stick with cardboard or wood really I managed to roll a 1 mm cigarette paper tube but it had not enough strength for a mast. Roman's drawing calls for 0.5mm diameter.

I think I will persevere with the bracing and hope it stiffens the structure.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Takao masts AA etc general view

Coming slowly to the end of the cardboard modelling parts added the AA guns and all the stern lockers and bits. Luckily the frail looking main mast is now as solid as a rock, just got to pluck up courage and snip a couple of crossbars to the right length.

I managed to roll a reasonable elongated double cone joined in the middle for the crane boom.

There is no way I am going to risk cutting her off the board now so I am experimenting with a cardboard sea test one worked qute well but I could not get a decent photograph.

Well 2 seaplanes, 2 jackstaffs and 2 ventilators and it's on to the rigging and another quick read of everyone.s rigging tips.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
I actually built one seaplane but I thought I ought to send something in to the Wings of Horus competition so I sent the pics to Marcus we will see if he has a category for that.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

With regards to the soldering of masts and other small metal parts. There is about 10-15 kinds of solder and flux types around. Normal eletical or plumbers solder is no good for what we need.
The type needed is a low melt temp solder used in the construction of model steam trains, the flux is not paste or gel it is a liquid. You lay out a scale plan of the mast to be made and cut the bits to the plan. Then clean them and dip them in the flux, apply the solder to each bit before jointing (Tinning) lay them back on the plan to check fit and then apply a small amount of heat to each joint. This forms a good joint with no globs of solder and does not need to be filed in any way.
As your from my end of the globe, if you go into any good train shop they will point you in the right direction. I will see if I can dig out the info over the weekend.

Hope this helps

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.