IHC "Super Sale"

Runs With Bears

Dec 23, 2006
Massachusetts
hey guys im starting to buy my first HO merchandise and i came across the IHC website.. Im pretty unfamiliar with good brands to buy when it comes to HO and wondering if i should take advantage of this sale or look for another brand.. or the prices are just average. There were listings of a few of their steam locomotives under $70 and there are a large amount of boxcars and reefers for about $3. Also a few kits are available for cheap. Should I buy a few or not?

If anybody could tell me about the quality of the IHC products, what to look out for, pros and cons etc.. it would be helpful

thanks! :)

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I will agree with Lynn about the steamers. You get what you pay for. They are not high end but for me they are reliable. They are a quick and easy way to get your roster started.

As far as their rolling stock, I think you could do better. Many of the cars are old AHM or Tyco cars and have not been altered much. I am not even sure if the couplers are still truck mounted or if they have moved them to a body mount. If they are still using truck mounted couplers stay away from them.

If you are willing to spend some time building the cars then go with the Athearn blue box kits. You can find many online retailers that are selling them for very reasonable prices. Also if you are not afraid of EBay there are a good number listed there for great prices. I would 75% of my rolling stock kits have come from EBay.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
yellowlynn said:
I'm no authority, but I have several IHC steamers and I'm very happy with them. They are not top of the line, but appear to be good runners. A lot of bang for the buck.

Lynn
I also have 4 IHC steamers and agree:thumb: :thumb:

Runs With Bears

Dec 23, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks for the help on the trains and stuff. I think im going to purchase a small 0-8-0 switcher or something from them and stay away from the cars... Any advice on the structure kits though? are those decent quality or could i find something else for about the same price or a little more that is better?

Thanks again!:D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I agree with the others, most can easily be converted to DCC when the time comes as the motors are usually already isolated from the frames. Their kits are equally good and easily given to kitbashing or modification.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
The IHC structure kits are pretty basic and toy plastic looking but can be kitbashed and repainted to get rid of the glossy plastic look. I just ordered one of their water towers which I plan to modify into a open top, backwoods logging water tank. The price was right.

Runs With Bears

Dec 23, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks again for the advice. I'm going to take a visit to my local hobby store today and if i cant find anything there I will most likely order some stuff from IHC and Athearn...