IHC "sound" car

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
It has a sound unit that makes a chuff sound. The chuff is generated by one of the axles on the truck axle. It was great back in the 1980's to add sound to a steam engine.

Harold

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I wouldn't expect too much. It'll be a white-noise generator that "chuffs" with every rotation of the wheel. To anyone who knows anything about steam sound, it will sound/look hokey, because you should have 4 chuffs per revolution of the drivers. This car won't synchronize its chuffs...

If you can get it cheap, it's a noisemaker you can turn on and off. For steam sound effects, it's a bit disappointing.

*EDIT* Here's a video of a Bachmann 'J' that the guy added the sound module from the IHC car to. You can judge for yourself what the sound is like.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I wouldn't expect too much.

I have one and, yes it's hokey, but I think it's a hoot. Nothing shuts those annoying sound chips down quicker than me and my bud running ours together behind...oh, say...my matched Athearn C44-9Ws:p:mrgreen::thumb:

Here's what you get...

soundcar2.jpg

soundcar3.jpg

soundcar.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The axle has a brass contact that runs the length of it and wraps about a third of the axle. There are two wipers that touch the axle that run up into the "load" in the gon. It's actually pretty cool in a simplistic, low tech way. The sound is synced in such a way as to sound pretty convincing if close enough to the loco. It certainly sounds better than that video.