IHC/ President's choice Hudon mods

RobertInOntario

60103 said:
The latest Canadian Railway Modeller has an ad for the 2006 set.
It's a CN 2-10-2, #4100. The set contains more ore cars, but they say they have RP25 wheels and nickel silver track. Advertised to be out on Nov. 11.

David: That sounds familiar now. It sounds as if they're updating their sets a bit and I'll certainly look for it. Are RP25 wheels more "scale accurate," i.e. smaller flanges? I'll have to look for that issue of Cdn. Railway Modeller as well. Rob

kirkendale

well the iInsider's report' came in today... page 15 says

"PC Big 10 Express, HO scale model electric train set limited edition. $99.99
This is our best ever HO scale electric collectors train. I used nickel silver for the track - a first for us. I insisted on a more authentic locomotive wih RP-25 wheels, and I developed a die-cast chassis to improve pulling power. And yet it has the same low price as other years! Be forewarned: it's a limited edition so shop early"

They have a picture of the box, but I can't realy see any details. Oh! the plot thickens, sign1 one of my daughters wants some fresh air and is willing to go for a walk with dad... sooo when we go, the destination is Loblaws down the street for a chocolate bar, and maybe check out the Big 10 :D

kirkendale

okay, quick trip for some eggs, but daaaad do we realy need to look at more trains... sign1 it is CNR #4100 2-10-2 T-2a Santa Fe type engine with 5 red ore cars and a caboose. did a quick read on the box label but not quick enough to jot down further details. it did say the 1st and 4th drive sets are spring loaded and the boiler is metal.

msowsun

I just picked up mine today. It comes with a dummy front coupler and NMRA rear coupler which I have changed already. It runs really well, but my first impression is that it doesn't seem to pull as well I expected for a 2-10-2.
IMG_8389.jpg

Here are some photos of a brass CNR 4100 to compare. (thanks to cn nutbar)
img_8390.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

IMG_8377.jpg

IMG_8376.jpg

img_8375.jpg

I plan to change the tender, trailing truck, and add an all-weather cab. The rear sand dome is removable so I will be moving it farther back as per the prototype. The tender does not have a DCC plug.

Buddog

I picked up the Big 10 today, told the wife we needed milk and I would go get it, expensive milk was her comment when I got home.
I have not tried it out yet but it looks really good, better quilty then previous sets from the past. Will be tring it out in the morning, oh ya it's price is $99.00 which is still really good considering all that is in the box.

Tom

Glen Haasdyk

I beleive my Club is getting at least one. last year we picked up 4 of the hudson sets, two to run and two for spares. I'd get one myself but this time around the engine is just too big for my layout. sure it'll track okay, but the overhang off my 22" radius corners will be terrible. I saw the engine in the box over the weekend and it is a really nice looker though, possibly the nicest one they've issued yet.
Is it just my imagination or are the middle drivers blind? (flangless)

msowsun

I think the prototype also had "blind" or flangeless center drivers. But on the model, not only is the center driver blind, it is also undersize and does not touch the rails

IMG_8411.jpg

Just for prototype reference...

This particular 10-driver-wheel loco seems to have flanges on its center driver wheelset.. I'll look around and see if there are more..

Attachments

• pictures_3881_File0692.jpg
    pictures_3881_File0692.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 245
Found another one.. This Russian Decapod used by Frisco also seems to have flanges on its center driver set:

Attachments

• pictures_16720_100_0013_3.JPG
    pictures_16720_100_0013_3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 258