IHC Mountain Repair

rod46

Feb 13, 2007
Windsor, ON
I have a 4-8-2 that fell off the layout and had an unfortunate meeting with the floor. The front end is busted up as well as the cab portion but it still runs well. Before I spend the money on an IHC parts catalogue do they sell replacement parts or are there other manufacturers that will sell replacement parts? Thanks.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I dont know with IHC if it would be cheaper to just buy another loco from them, or scout on Ebay for 1 for parts. IHC's locos arent that expensive, thats the good thing about them, and you could keep the crashed one for parts. Just a suggestion.:thumb:
I've got 3 IHC locos, a NKP and a B&O GW both 4-6-2's and a Southern 2-8-2. I think I paid total $100 for 4 of them from a member on here, but gave 1 away recently. Theyre good running engines, need more weight for traction, but good show pieces none the less.:thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I noticed you are from Canada. Is this the Loblaws president's choice engine from a couple years ago? If so may other IHC locos have the same parts. My hudson shares both the cab and the boiler of the Mountain. do you have a picture of the busted up engine? the parts could still be repaired as well.

rod46

Feb 13, 2007
Windsor, ON
hi,
I don't have pictures of my loco but the cab section has a piece broken off. The boiler section is intact but the cow catcher is broken off and the piece above the steering (front) wheels that the front end attaches to is slightly cracked. I thought this piece could be unscrewed and a new piece made from styrene or other materal. The headlight shroud is gone. The engine still runs; no major problem with operation.

Rod

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
You LHS may be able to do some 'plasic surgery' if you get what I mean (It's a plastic loco and you want to make it look better, get it?) But while you're looking for a fix up job, put the engine in the works or something so it looks like it's in current repair:thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
To repair the cab it can be taken off the loco by gently prying the sides out and the tabs in the back. carefully glue the broken peice back on with thin ca or plastic cement. you should be able to find a color match (or close to it) at the local hobby store if you have to touch the paint up, if not a little weathering will hide the flaws. The IHC engines come apart fairly easy, I've repainted and rebuilt about 6 of the hudsons so far. Just take your time and don't force anything.

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
The IHC 4-8-2. 4-6-4, and 2-10-2 all share the same boiler and most of the parts are interchangable. I have 2 cabs available from prevoius kitbash projects.

cb4.jpg

rod46

Feb 13, 2007
Windsor, ON
hi msowsun:
I'd be willing to purchase a cab from you. Would you let me know what you're willing to sell one for.
thanks, Rod

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I had a look and found all 3 that I have. I guess you'll want the 6043 if you have the PC Mountain. Send me a "PM" with your address and I'll send it out to you no charge.

I just noticed that the 4-8-2 cab doesn't have the little tabs at the back. I guess it was held on differently.

01.jpg

02-1.jpg

03-1.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg