IHC Diesels - any good?

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Back in my HO days, I had 2 of them, An E8 and an SD40.
Both had 2 powered trucks with 2 of the 3 axles powered. they had an OK moter, however, they were not equipped with flywheels.
The best slow speed was around 5 SMPH and the top end was around 150 SMPH. Both ran OK and I got about 4 years service out of each before I sold them off.
Detail tended to be quite heavy and the couplers were truck mounted with that "Toothless Grin" in the front and rear pilots in the SD40.
I felt that they were much better than the trainset quality units put out by Bachman, Model Power, and lifelike (Proto NOT included), and were about on par with the Mantua line of Diesel locomotives, both which are a big step down from Athearn.
That aside, I have heard of modelers doing wonderful things with them involving re-motering, kitbashing and super detailing and they can be considered a "Diamond in The Rough" it you are willing to put some time and effort into them.
Have a great one!

Terry

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks for the reports fellers. Terry, I don't get it, what's the toothless smile thing all about?
gap.gif
gap.gif
gap.gif

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
The "Toothless Grin"" is that big unsightly gap in the front and rear pilots of switcher and road switcher type locomotives equipped with truck mounted couplers.
The wider the grin, the sharper the curve that the locomotive can negotiate without the couplers fouling on the of the pilot hole sides.
Cheers!:D

Terry

Edmund

May 5, 2003
N. Baltimore Ohio
Visit site
I have talked to the IHC people on their current diesels. They have flywheels. The C628 is identical on the outside (frame and body) to the old Life-Like version as IHC bought the molds. The new motor is good. I think it now has all wheel pick up and drive. Directional lighting. Except for the truck mounted couplers it sounds good. If I can find a Santa Fe in blue I will get one so I can fix my old Life-Like for sentimental reasons.

The SD-35 has everything the same drive wise. The couplers are body mounted. I plan on giving these a try in the future. I will try to catch them at a big discount. The big thing I see as the problem with IHC is their reputation from the older stuff still haunts them.

That is everything I remember about these.

Ted

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by K.V.Div
...I have heard of modelers doing wonderful things with them involving re-motering, kitbashing and super detailing and they can be considered a "Diamond in The Rough" it you are willing to put some time and effort into them.
Have a great one!

Terry [/B]

Good point, and jon-monon's middle names definitely include both "time" and "effort"....( and Jack Nicholson, and Paul Bunyan, and P-K the LPB abuser, and many other complimentary monikers, too).
regards / Mike :D, :D

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
As been stated you can rebuild these into nice looking locomotives.You can fix that "toothless grin" by body mounting the coupler and adding a pilot.You could use a flat piece of ABS plastic to do so..