IHC and Bachmann steam engine question

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
I’d like to buy a steam engine, but I don’t know anything about them. My main focus is on first generation diesel switchers and road switchers, but I would like to have a steam engine on my transition era layout. I don’t want to spend too much on this steam engine, which leads me to the IHC 2-10-2 Santa Fe or Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern announced for October. What can I expect of these engines, are they good looking and good running engines or only a waste of money? Can I get a decent steam engine for about 150 $ or do I have to spend at least 300 bucks to get a good one? Are any steam guys around here to give me some advice?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
For HO, you don't even have to spend $150!

Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0's would be perfect for such a ten-wheeler filled roster as the C&NW had. They are very very detailed, and they sell on trainworld for $89.99!

Bachmann also makes a consolidation, but mine has given me nothing but trouble (yes the spectrum one) oh well....You can get the for @ $70.00 in the right places.

IHC makes good running steam engine that are 99% reliable, unless you have very dirty track. their Consolidation pulls exceptionally good (although mine is modified) and their smaller 2-6-0's and 4-4-0's pull @20 cars on straight & level track. They range in price from $45.00-$150.00 also.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I have the IHC Consolidation that I bought at a show used for less than $40.00 USD(Might be a tic higher today). Keep it cleaned and well lubed, and it will run like a champ. I've had mine now for almost ten years and it still pulls like a bull.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
MilesWestern said:
For HO, you don't even have to spend $150!

Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0's would be perfect for such a ten-wheeler filled roster as the C&NW had. They are very very detailed, and they sell on trainworld for $89.99!

Bachmann also makes a consolidation, but mine has given me nothing but trouble (yes the spectrum one) oh well....You can get the for @ $70.00 in the right places.

IHC makes good running steam engine that are 99% reliable, unless you have very dirty track. their Consolidation pulls exceptionally good (although mine is modified) and their smaller 2-6-0's and 4-4-0's pull @20 cars on straight & level track. They range in price from $45.00-$150.00 also.

Miles is right about the Bachmann Ten Wheelers: well-detailed and smooth running. However, his experience with the Bachmann Consolidation is contrary to mine. I have six of them, and all are very smooth runners and excellent pullers. Bachmann's quality control does, however, still suffer the occasional lapse. Fortunately, they will repair or replace any defective loco and I've found the people in their telephone Parts Department to be very helpful when ordering things like extra tenders, etc.
As for the IHC, I have only one, a Mogul. While it is not a bad runner, it is the poorest of all of my "in use" locos and its pulling power is not adequate for more than 2 or 3 cars, although my layout does have some severe grades. Its reliability seems to be good. You can also pick up a used Athearn Mikado or Pacific for a very reasonable price. These seem, without exception (I have four of them), to be extremely smooth runners, but their lack of pulling power is legendary.

Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation
100_5380.jpg

IHC 2-6-0 Mogul
100_5533.jpg

Athearn 2-8-2 Mikado
TrainBrain073_449377.jpg

Sorry I don't have a picture of the Bachmann Ten Wheeler, as both are in the shops for modification.
Here's a photo of another loco that was under $100.00. It's a brass import that's been remotored and redetailed, demonstrating that there are bargains available, especially if you don't mind putting a little "sweat equity" into them. This little Mogul (it's smaller than the IHC) runs as well as any of my locos and will outpull the IHC. Total cost was under $150.00. It also doubleheads well with any of the locos shown.

100_5833.jpg

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Thank you for your advice. Pulling power is not very important to me, I’d like to have a steam engine mainly for the nostalgic looks. But this doesn’t mean, that it shouldn’t run decently. Your answers encourage me to have another look at some engines for under 150 $.
BTW, Wayne, your river (especially around the pillar) is really fantastic.