Identifying truck type?

Hammerli

Nov 19, 2005
I bought a couple of Athearn cars that I'd like to change to metal couplers and trucks. I found Kadee's conversion chart for couplers, is there a visual reference chart for trucks as well? One is a 40' derrick flat car, which it looks to me like the Bettendorf truck fom the Walthers reference book. The other is a Walthers Dynamometer car. Kadee's website has fairly small photos that make it difficult to match type.

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Take a look at Bethlehem Car Works website Kit Bits section.
It is the usual prefices then, bethlehemcarworks dot com , and shows
the Red Ball trucks (30 or so) formerly made by Cape Line.
They will help you.
Good-Luck, PJB

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You should also keep in mind the fact that railroads would often update older cars with more modern trucks, or that the modeller can also backdate a car with the application of an older-style truck. Mainline Modeler, in the November and December 1993 issues, ran a series, with photos, on the various freight car trucks available. There are quite a few more than you might think, and of course, there are even more that have become available recently. Depending on the era that you're modelling, that derrick car could have arch bars (even at a time when arch bars were no longer in interchange use, since these cars seldom,if ever, went offline), Andrews, any of the many versions of "Bettendorf", or roller bearing.

Wayne