Identifying OLD Lionel sets

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by screwysquirrel, Sep 28, 2003.

1. I just pulled out of my parent's attic a set of Lionel trains, the look like immediate postwar stuff. All metal parts on the cars and the locos.

the 2 Locos are a 4-6-2 and a 2-4-2, with tenders, about 8 - 10 freight cars, and a selection of track in variable condition (I think the rust is only surface, easily removed -- and not all the track has rust on it), aged power packs (I'll replace that!) a Station house, and a few 1940s to 1950s Chevy pickup trucks. All are 027.

Any way to Identify exactly what year they are, or anything like that?

I will probably post pics of them in the next few days if anyone is interested in seeing them
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

The most important thing about Lionel is the number on the car or engine. Some engines with certain numbers were produced in low quantities while others are quiet common. The same for the freight cars. Off hand, the numbers escape me, of rare or less common items. There are some guides out there that list the value and when the item was made. When you post some pictures, I can have an idea of your trains, as far as when they were built. Looking forward to seeing them.